halloween hookup horror stories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween hookup horror stories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MIRAMAX

2023’s Halloweekend Costume Ranking

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s that time of year again, girlies! Halloween fell on a Tuesday this year, which means most people (and celebrities) celebrated this past Saturday. After creeping on many celebrities via Instagram this past weekend, I created the top 10 Star Halloween costumes list for 2023. Keep reading to see who got my #1 spot!  

Tana Mongeau AS JENNIFER CHECK FROM JENNIFER’S BODY

We all know and love the famous feminist cult classic “Jennifer’s Body,” and Mongeau absolutely slayed this look! Let’s hope she didn’t have too many victims Saturday night, but if she did, can you blame them?

Hailey Bieber as drew decker in “scary movie”

Hailey Bieber dressed as Carmen Electra’s character in “Scary Movie” during her infamous scene of running away from Ghostface while stripping her clothing and running through the sprinklers. This specific scene has circulated on the internet since its release in 2000! Hailey Bieber and Carmen Electra are practically interchangeable; Both women could successfully embody the role of Drew Decker. But the question is, who was Ghostface? Justin, maybe?

Ice spice as Betty Boop

Let’s be so real right now: Ice Spice was born to cosplay Betty Boop. Her body, baby-doll features, and ability to pull off shorter, untraditional hairstyles make her the perfect match. It makes me wonder, maybe Betty Boop was based on Ice Spice? I know Betty Boop was created in 1930, but Ice Spice seems like the immortal type, right?

Megan FOX AS Gogo Yubari from “Kill Bill”

It’s not unlike Megan Fox to cause some controversy in her Instagram comments, and this post was no different. Many comments under her post criticized her for tagging @sagaftra in her caption. Saga had asked public figures not to dress up as movie characters, which Fox and many others did. However, controversy or not, Fox killed this costume. The blood dripping from her eyes, paired with her long, red nails, makes the character more glamorous. It’s very much giving glam demon; I wonder where we’ve heard that before?

Madelaine Petsch AS POISON IVY FROM THE BATMAN SERIES

Saying I’m in love with this costume would be an understatement. Petsch is uniquely alluring and has just the right mystical energy to pull off a cosplay of Poison Ivy. The combination of the green with her long, ginger hair is truly unmatched. The other Riverdale Girls, Lili Reinhart and Camila Mendes, accompanied her as Harley Quinn and Cat Woman.

Halsey as a siren

Halsey dressed as a Siren this Halloween, and girl, did she do just that. Ultimately, what defined this costume was her makeup and attention to detail. She has seaweed scattered across her body, intertwined with glitter and patterned eye shadow. Her execution was nothing short of ethereal. Those beautiful, dead eyes could lure any poor soul, but at least she would be a sight to see.

Adele as Morticia Addams

Name another celebrity that could pull this look off better than Adele right now. Adele’s beauty and maturity encapsulate everything Morticia Addams is: elegant, poised, and intense in her sense of self. Shout-out to Adele’s makeup artist.

Paris Hilton as Britney Spears in her “Toxic” music video

We are getting down to the wire, and these last few costumes are so difficult to rate. Paris Hilton not only perfectly replicated Britney Spears’ look in “Toxic”, but she also introduced her newborn son as the pilot. Hilton’s dress looks nearly identical to the one Spears wore and takes you back to the pop-prominent year of 2003, just three years before Spears, Hilton, and Lohan would frequently make headlines for partying downtown. I wonder if Spears let Hilton borrow the original dress.

Keke Palmer as Frankenstein

Everything about this post is iconic, down to the caption. The hair, the makeup, the glamorization of Frankenstein, and everything in between. Palmer, like Hilton, also incorporated her son into her costumes this year, making him the mad scientist. In a separate Instagram post, Palmer ironically captions, “He gave me life!” This Halloween look will go down in history. She really did that.

AND THE MOMENT YOU’VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR…. THE NUMBER 1 SPOT GOES TO: saweetie as edward scissorhands

Are you kidding me? You have to be joking. This look is how the word “iconic” learned her meaning. This is what showing up and showing out is about. Everything about this costume is stunning. This is how I’d imagine Edward Scissorhands to look if he decided to glamorize his fit and become really into BDSM. After this, nobody could dress up as him without accepting that they would never be able to out-Scissorhand Saweetie.

There you have it: The Halloween stars of 2023! There were not as many Barbies as I anticipated, but what the celebs gave us was way better. Let’s see what they come up with a year from now!

Caysea Stone is a Journalism major and a Women’s Studies minor at the University of Central Florida. She has been vegan for almost five years and is very passionate about yoga, meditation, and feminism. Her ultimate goal is to write for a women's magazine like Cosmopolitan or Bustle. She wishes to inspire younger women to always show kindness towards themselves and assist in the process of deconditioning any internalized misogyny.