19 Things I’ve Learned in 19 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As of December 30 2017,  I have been on this planet for 19 years. 6,935 days. 988 weeks. 166,440 hours. 9,986,400 minutes. 599,184,000 seconds. There are countless lessons I’ve learned, from how to read to getting along with others. However, over the course of these 19 years, there are a few lessons that are especially important to remember in college. 

1. People are going to judge you no matter what, so live your life for yourself. Wear what you want, do what you love. You only live once, so make the most of it.

2. Stop being so apologetic. Don’t say sorry for how you feel – your feelings are just as valid as anyone else’s.

3. Everything can change in an instant. People change – sometimes you, sometimes others. It can be heartbreaking at times, but you will eventually move past these changes and see how they bettered you as a person.

4. Give back. Karma is very real. Give what you can when you can and the world will repay you when you feel you have nothing left to give.

5. Don’t let people talk down about what you love. Whether it’s your favorite color or a boy band, you’re allowed to like different things and should not be afraid of being judged for it.

6. People can be really mean sometimes. In return, you have to be as nice as possible, as often as possible. You don’t know who’s day you’re improving.

7. Everything comes to an end eventually. Tell that boy he’s cute, hug your dog, call your mom. Don’t regret doing things when you had the chance.

8. Nobody is perfect. Mistakes happen and people will disappoint you. Don’t hold grudges, though. They’re exhausting and don’t help anyone in the long run.

9. Find your passion and stick to it. Whether it be volunteering with children or a sport, your passions are what make you unique and can get you through some hard times.

10. Sometime’s people’s issues are bigger than you. It can be hard to not take some things personally, but if you want to keep your head up, just remember everything is not about you and people can be dealing with unimaginable things behind their smile.

11. Not everyone is going to like you. It sucks, but it’s true – nobody gets along with every single person they come in contact with. And that’s okay.

12. Cry if you need to. Everyone deals with things in their own way and if crying is what helps you, go ahead.

13. Be a little selfish sometimes. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with putting yourself first. You’re the only person stuck with you 24/7.

14. Ice cream fixes almost everything. Got a bad grade? Eat ice cream. Heartbroken? Eat ice cream. Just not feeling well? Eat ice cream.

15. Popularity really doesn’t matter. Your self worth isn’t determined by your friends list on Facebook, views on your Snapchat story, or likes on an Instagram photo.

16. If it doesn’t make you happy, it’s not worth it. It doesn’t matter what it is – friends, a relationship, a job, anything. Happiness is important.

17. Your mom will always be your best friend. Yes, she will drive you crazy at times. But she’s the only person on this planet that would drop everything to be there for you, no matter the time of day.

18. You don’t have control over other people. You cannot make others do what you want them to do – they have to determine what’s best for them, just like you’re trying to do for yourself.

19. Above all, just remember never to give up. There is always something brighter coming, no matter how tough things are.

Lauren is a senior at the University of Central Florida. She is pursuing a Legal Studies major and a Sociology minor. Her career goal is to be a guardian ad litem attorney for children in the foster care system. When she isn't blasting her music (Taylor Swift and Jake Miller primarly), you can find her bingewatching Shane Dawson Youtube videos or eating way too many french fries. She has 3 dogs who she loves with all her heart. She loves to volunteer with kids and animals. Her favorite (non domesticated) animal is a panda bear, her favorite colors are pink and blue, and she is pretty sure she's the next Disney princess. She's very politically involved and loves writing. Feel free to keep up with her on social media!
UCF Contributor