This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Whether you’re spending this Valentine’s Day with a special someone, best friends or even in the comfort of your own solitude, here are 14 must-watch movies for every scenario this February 14!

1. Love, Rosie (2014)*

Number one on the list is a personal favorite of mine. “Love, Rosie” is a romantic comedy that follows two best friends, Rosie and Alex, who are inseparable since childhood until life and misunderstandings drag them by the hair and take them through a series of whirlwinds. It’s the whole “unrequited-love-but-it’s-not-actually-as-unrequited-as-they-think” trope and the film really makes you root for the main characters as they try to figure their lives out. There are laughable moments, parts that make you super emo, and of course, the romance that makes you clench your fist to your heart. It’s really got it all. 10/10 would recommend.

2. How to Get Over a Breakup (2018)* 

Okay, so I don’t normally laugh at comedies, but the Netflix original “How to Get Over a Breakup” (also titled Soltera Codiciada)  is an exceptionally good movie that revolves around a devastated and heartbroken woman whose life is so unfortunate you seriously pity her, yet you can’t help but laugh. What really makes it great? She’s able to turn her sadness into a success story as she starts writing a blog to express her struggles as a recently single woman—you go, girl boss! 

3. Your Name (2016)

Any anime fans out there? “Your Name,” or Kimi No Na Wa, is a Japanese fantasy-drama film that really pulls at your heartstrings and makes you ponder fate, destiny and the wonders of life as two complete strangers switch bodies Freaky Friday-style and attempt to meet one another halfway. As one of the highest-grossing animes of all time, the scenes of the film are beautiful all on their own as each one is crafted with delicacy and details. The storyline is also admirable as a plot twist makes you doubt everything you thought you knew about this story of young love. Even if you think you aren’t into animated films, you might want to make an exception for “Your Name,” as it really is a spectacular movie with a bittersweet ending. (Note: If you’re new to anime, the ‘subbed’ version will include the original Japanese dialogue with English translation subtitles while the ‘dubbed’ version is voiced by English actors instead.)

4. The Last Five Years (2014)* 

A hidden gem in the world of musicals, The Last Five Years is for those of you looking for some angst this Valentine’s Day. Personally, it’s on the top of my list of favorite musicals as it’s super different from your average Broadway show. The film focuses on an aspiring actress, Cathy, and an uber successful writer, Jamie, but in a totally unique way as it doesn’t follow the average format for musicals. It starts at the end and proceeds to the beginning until they meet up in the middle so you literally witness how their relationship both started and ended—it’s incredibly emotional and powerful. Both Anna Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan do an incredible performance to cultivate complex characters and tell a tale of a once beautiful love turned sour.

5. Naomi & Ely’s No Kiss List (2015)*

This romantic-comedy follows two best friends, Naomi and Ely, who basically have a list of forbidden boys that the other can’t get involved with. The story becomes interesting when Naomi and Ely fall for the same guy, even though Naomi secretly wishes Ely was straight considering her long-term hidden crush on her best friend. There’s a whole bunch of drama as the plot unfolds but it’s ultimately a story of accepting, growing, and the importance of recognizing that more often than not, a friendship is just as important as any so-called love one could ever have.

6. Ruby Sparks (2012) 

This isn’t your typical romance, but it’s definitely worth-watching! “Ruby Sparks” is a story about a struggling writer, Calvin, who turns to his therapist for help with his ideal view of love and relationships. When he’s assigned to write about someone special, he cultivates his ‘dream-girlfriend’ named Ruby Sparks. Things take a turn when his creation comes to life and Ruby appears in his house the next day as a real person, rather than a figment of his imagination. To make matters even more interesting, Calvin has the power to control Ruby’s entire character—her personality, emotions, and even her reactions—through his writing and you could guess how that goes!

7. Warm Bodies (2013) 

A movie perfect for both Halloween and Valentine’s Day, “Warm Bodies” tells the post-apocalyptic story of a zombie boy who falls in love with a living girl, contrary to what everyone believes is even possible for the living dead. The film is unusual, quirky, and cute with a hint of blood and guts because love isn’t always rainbows and sunshine duh! Fans of “Twilight,” “The Walking Dead” and not-so-average-love-stories will meet their match with “Warm Bodies.”

8. Set It Up (2018)*

“Set It Up” is all about two overworked assistants who plan to get their high-handed bosses together in order to make their lives easier. Their seemingly simple scheme becomes more and more complex as they work to not only get their demanding bosses to give into love in the first place, but to keep them together and happy for as long as possible. Along the way, the main characters face relationship problems of their own and begin to help one another better themselves as they are both weighed down by their own unachieved aspirations and reluctance to change their ways.

9. Love, Simon (2018)

“Love, Simon” is pretty popular, but just in case you haven’t seen it yet, this is a sign to change that! “Love, Simon” is a heartwarming rom-com about a closeted teen; it’s really nice to see LGBT+ cinema becoming more widely acknowledged, accepted, and enjoyed by people of all ages. In the film, Simon connects with an anonymous user online who expresses that he is also gay—but neither Simon nor the audience knows who his secret fellow classmate is. You’ll spend most of the movie struggling with Simon as you both try to guess who his anonymous pen-pal is. The movie carries themes of young love, friendship and the empowerment of coming to terms with one’s identity.

10. The House Bunny (2008)  

Early 2000’s rom-coms will always be top tier, and as random on this list as it may seem, it’s just great to watch with your best friends and a box of pizza. “The House Bunny” is about Shelley, a recently rejected and stranded Playboy bunny, who finds herself a job as a house mother for a sorority of awkward outcasts. As you could probably assume, her new big project is to turn all of them into the most popular girls at school, but she’s in for a makeover of her own as she finds herself falling for a cute and dorky guy on campus. (This one’s your go-to if you’re looking for something funny and lighthearted to watch).

11. Mamma Mia! (2008)*

This is a great musical movie for generally any occasion, but it’s especially perfect for Valentine’s Day. “Mamma Mia!” captures the story of Sophie, a bride-to-be, who secretly invites three of her mother’s past loves to potentially find out who her father is. The music of ABBA helps set the tone for an upbeat film full of comedy, romance and drama all packed in one to ultimately create a musical that’s worth watching.

12. When We First Met (2018)*

As a Netflix Original that doesn’t disappoint, “When We First Met” is all about a guy named Noah whose ‘love of his life’ is marrying someone else. It sounds unfortunate, but luckily for him, he falls upon a time machine that allows him to go back 3 years earlier to change up the day that he and Avery first met. Hoping to change the past, he goes back and forth and sees how his actions can impact the future revolving not only his love life, but the quality of his character and friendships too.  

13. Life Itself (2018)

Though this could be considered more of a drama, there is a lot of romance intertwined and the general plot is relative to the idea of different kinds of love we encounter throughout life. Valentine’s Day should celebrate not only intimate relationships, but also platonic ones involving the people we care about, like our family and friends. “Life Itself” follows different characters as their lives take many twists and turns in the form of ‘chapters’ based on each character’s life story. Definitely not for the lighthearted, lovey-dovey romance viewers, but it’s a film that’ll stay in the back of your mind for a while as it showcases both the beauty and cruelty of love and life.

14. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

Alright, I really tried to solely mention movies that were fairly recent and most likely unseen by many, but how could I not put this total classic on the list? If you’ve never seen “10 Things I Hate About You,” just know it’s mainly about a considerably antisocial high school senior, an infamous ‘bad boy’ and a plan that potentially brings the two together. Oh, and there’s nothing more iconic than the poem scene—you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about when you see it. Not only are the characters extremely likeable, but the film itself has a nostalgic vibe to it that takes you back to the 90s for a hot minute to create the ultimate Valentine’s Day classic. 

♡ Watch away and enjoy your Valentine’s Day! ♡

*Available for streaming on Netflix.

Images: 1234567891011121314, 1516

Elizabeth, currently majoring in Journalism, is a freshman at the University of Central Florida. Writing, reading, and dancing are a few of her passions. She especially loves discussing all things music and entertainment, mental health, and self-empowerment. If you're curious to see what Elizabeth's up to, follow her on Instagram @xelizvbeth!
UCF Contributor