13 Struggles of Being a Mermaid Trapped Inside a Human’s Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

You right Sebastian, you right. What was Ariel thinking trying to get herself a pair of legs? Doesn’t she know she was livin’ the life unda the sea?

The human life is rough. It’s a daily struggle having a pair of legs where your tail is supposed to be. AND WHERE’S MY SEASHELL BRA? If you’re a mermaid trapped inside a human’s body, you may or may not know exactly what I’m talking about when I say the struggle is so real. 

1. You’re entire closet consists mostly of bathing suits, shorts and tank-tops. What are jeans?

2. Barefoot over shoes all day, erry day. And if shoes are required, flip-flops it is. 

3. Winter. Those long, cold months that occupy the months of summer’s off season are rough. Obviously your shorts and flip-flop closet leaves you fairly unprepared.

4. You constantly crave the sun and the sand because the beach is ALWAYS calling your name. You’re basically a professional beach-bum.  

5. You spend more time inside the water than on land. You basically only come out to eat.  

6. You live for the summer months. May to August is prime mermaid time. 

7. You spend all your free time by the pool or at the beach, because life is just better by the water honestly.

8. You probably knew how to swim before you could walk.  

9. The long-haired, tanned surfer boys are your weakness. MERMAID BAES.

10. Despite the common misconception that fish are friends, not food, sushi is a staple to your diet. 

11. You feel an overwhelming—others may say strange—connection to sea creatures. You may or may not speak whale. 

12. Shark week is marked down in your calendar. (7/5/2015)

13. Walking proves difficult. You’re slightly clumsy on your feet, so clearly you were meant to have a tail. 

UCF Contributor