This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Halloween is a time to don your favorite costume, gorge yourself on free candy, and enjoy all things spooky and scary—but perhaps the best part of all is the movies! During no other time of year is there a holiday specially created for us to be scared, and even those who hate being scared (no judgment here, trust me!) can let themselves fall into the whimsy or mystery of a good Halloween flick.

Read on for a list of 13 spooky movies available to stream through Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, and Starz; some to watch with friends, some to watch with family, and some that you probably wouldn’t want to watch with your parents. 

1. “Halloween” (Amazon Prime) 

‘Twas a dark and stormy night when Michael Myers, known town creep and sister-murderer, returns to town to prey on the nightie-clad babysitter Jaime Lee Curtis. Hailed as one of the first feminist victories in the horror genre, “Halloween” will remind you that there is definitely a reason the series has spawned 11 sequels.

2. “The Witch” (Netflix)

“The Witch” became one of the defining films of a new genre called New Horror, and that’s exactly what it brings. Even when nothing implicitly scary or thrilling happens onscreen, there is still a hair-raising, shiver-inducing quality that will make “The Witch” a film to last for many Halloweens. So before watching, ask yourself: wouldst thou like to live deliciously? 

3. “The Shining” (Netflix)

Perhaps one of the greatest and most often recommended horror movies of all time, “The Shining” (another Steven King masterpiece) follows the Torrence family as they care for an eerie, abandoned hotel during its off-season. However, the sanity of the family begins to deteriorate as the young Danny begins to discover the full extent of his psychic ability. The many scares, jumps and eerie scenes prove why, even 40 years later, “The Shining” can still pack butts in seats.  

4. “The Craft” (Starz)

A cult classic (and feminist treasure!) for a reason, “The Craft” stars Sarah Bailey, who has just moved to a new city where she falls into a friendship with a group of witches. However, as their power begins to grow, it soon begins to get the best of them. Only watch if you like witches in flowing robes and chunky 90s heels, awesome female friendships and insanely quotable lines.

5. “Addams Family Values” (Starz)

“Addams Family Values” follows the eponymous Addams family through a series of oddball adventures including Wednesday’s begrudging trip to summer camp, Morticia and Gomez’s newborn son Pubert and the hiring of a murderous nanny, who plans to end the Addams line for once and for all. Unlike so many others before and after it, this film proves that sometimes a sequel can bring just as many laughs as the original. 

6. “Coraline” (Netflix)

Based on the Neil Gaiman novel of the same name “Coraline” follows a peculiar young girl as she explores her new home and, in an Alice in Wonderland-like twist, accidentally stumbles upon a new world. Unfortunately for Coraline, this new world holds an ominous secret. With its strange vibe, oddball characters and downright scary moments, “Coraline is the perfect Halloween film for all!  

7. Scream (Starz)

The first in a seemingly never-ending saga, “Scream” proves once again that Wes Craven is an undeniable horror mastermind. “Scream” follows Sidney Prescott a year after the murder of her mother, as she and the rest of her town are terrorized by a new killer: the legendary Ghostface. Throw in an unsolved murder or two, some grisly fight scenes, some great scares and of course, classic horror-movie teenage hijinx. 

8. “Casper” (Starz)

“Casper” promises a light-hearted and less horrific approach to Halloween movies. The young Kat (played by Halloween movie alumni Christina Ricci) and her father, a paranormal expert, as they investigate an abandoned house plagued by three mischievous ghosts and one friendly one. “Casper” is worth watching just to see the adorable friendship between Casper and Kat, whom the internet has since deemed “Katsper.”

9. “Edward Scissorhands” (Starz)

After spending years in isolation, a shy and kind-hearted boy is invited into a new neighborhood, where he begins to slowly adapt to a new life, despite having two pairs of scissors where his hands should be. In “Edward Scissorhands,” Tim Burton brings us laughs, thrills and a dash of unexpected romance. Plus, you can see the blossoming love between the two actors that would eventually lead Johnny to tattoo “Winona forever” on his arm. 

10. “Carrie” (Amazon Prime)

Even though Steven King’s brilliant adaption “Carrie” debuted far, far before most of us were born, there is a reason that it has stood the test of time and satisfied for decades. Sissy Spacek not only gave us the perfect costume for every Halloween party but a shockingly (and pityingly!) good performance as Carrie White. And if you don’t watch it, they’re all gonna laugh at you!! 

11. “Ghostbusters” (Amazon Prime)

In this 80s classic and ultimate buddy comedy, three psychology professors turn to ghostbusting in order to defend the world from the paranormal. From scary poltergeist librarians to giant monster gargoyles, to giant re-animated marshmallow men, there are plenty of spooky factors to cement “Ghostbusters” as both a Halloween classic and the ultimate comedy! 

12. “It” (HBO Go)

While not quite as charming as the Tim Curry original, Bill Skarsgård’s Pennywise the Dancing Clown will definitely satisfy your scary movie craving. “It” (2017) offers witty one-liners and laughable moments (thank Finn Wolfhard from “Stranger Things” for many of them!) as well as plenty of jumpscares and nightmare-inducing moments that will keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the movie.

13. “Scooby-Doo” (Netflix)

This live-action adaption of the classic children’s cartoon follows the Scooby Gang as they reunite for one last adventure and investigate a mysterious monster-filled amusement park. This film packs in plenty of laughs, veiled references and the occasional head shake as Scooby Doo (sometimes dressed as Fred’s old grandmother) and the gang take on and try to unmask the monsters of Spooky Island. 

BONUS: “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” (Netflix) 

Based on the Archie comic of the same name, “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” stars Sabrina Spellman (played by the quirky Kiernan Shipka) and promises to be much darker than the ABC Family classic. The series follows Sabrina, half-witch and half-mortal, as she acclimates to her life living among her two dark-magic wielding aunts and sassy talking cat Salem as they fight against the world of evil. “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” will be released on Netflix on October 25th, 2018—just in time for Halloween! 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415

Kira Nicole Castillo is a junior at the University of Central Florida, studying Creative Writing and English Literature. When she is not watching Game of Thrones, she enjoys angry girl music of the indie rock persuasion, quoting the Office, and watching the same five movies on repeat. She is at her absolute happiest when she is people-watching at Disney World, drinking green tea, or on a hammock with her pitbull puppy, Blue. You can see more of her and Blue's adventures on Instagram.
UCF Contributor