13 Quotable Lyrics from Taylor Swift’s 1989

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Whether or not you are a Swiftie fan (also known as Taylor-Tots), we can’t help blasting 1989 wherever we go.  This song is not just a pop album, it is Taylor Swift and we love that she is showing off who she is and who she has become!  This album leaves us asking one thing…when do concert tickets go on sale?!

1. Welcome to New York – “It’s a new soundtrack, I could dance to this beat, the lights are so bright but they never blind me

The first song on Taylor Swift’s album is a new sound and a new her.  New York is a place unlike any other in the world and “everybody here was someone else before”, it is the perfect place to start a new you.  Let’s just say we will be listening to this song while we land at the JFK airport!

2. Blank Space – “Darling I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream

The world of Instagram needs to brace itself; this is definitely going to be our #instaquote on our next seflie!  This lyric from Taylor’s next single “Blank Space” has been taking the social media world by storm, and it is not going away anytime soon.  We also can’t help but love the pen clicking sound! 

3. Style –  “You got that long hair, slicked back, white t-shirt. And I got that good girl thing and a tight little skirt

The classic tale of the good girl falling for the bad boy who has that “James Dean, day dream, look in your eye”. We don’t blame you Taylor; we have all been there!

4. Out of the Woods – “Do you remember when you hit the brakes too soon?

We love ourselves some T-Swift metaphors and this one is definitely a favorite!  This quotable Swift lyric is about the anxiety of an unstable relationship and someone (cough Harry Styles cough) ended it well before it was meant too. We totally get you Taylor; we know this feeling all too well. (A little Red album reference for you Taylor-Tots)!

5. All You Had to do was Stay –People like you always want back the love they pushed aside, but people like me are gone forever when you say goodbye

Taylor Swift has really grown up since her “Teardrops on My Guitar” days and this song proves it!  She is not the girl who will wait around for a boy to change their mind any longer; she is strong, independent and sharing it with the world!

6. Bad Blood – “Band-Aids don’t fix bullet holes, you say sorry just for show

Another relatable Taylor Swift lyric.  Sometimes people stab you in the back and even if they do apologize, it is not always forgivable or forgettable.   Taylor makes it pretty clear that these scars won’t heal up any time soon! 

7. Wildest Dreams – “I can see the end as it begins, my one condition is, say you’ll remember me

This song makes us feel like we are in a whimsical Taylor Swift dream!    Even though this relationship has not ended yet, she already knows that it is not going to last but she does hopes the relationship ends on good terms and that she is not forgotten.

8. How you Get the girl – “Remind me how it used to be, pictures in frames of kisses on checks and say you want me

Take note boys: We suggest you pay close attention to the lyrics of this song! Don’t be fooled by it’s upbeat tone, Taylor Swift herself is giving you step-by-step instructions on how to win the girl of your dreams.   We can’t help but jam out to this pop hit on the highway with the windows down! 

9. This Love – “This love is a life back from the dead, these hands had to let it go free and this love came back to me

Taylor’s songs are so relatable, it almost seems like she knows exactly what we are feeling while we are feeling it!  We love the way she describes the whole “if you love something set it free, and if it comes back, it was meant to be” concept! 

10. Clean – “Rain came pouring down when I was drowning that’s when I can finally breathe and that morning, gone was any trace of you, I think I am finally clean

As the final song on 1989 (aside from her amazing bonus tracks!), this song is a breathe of fresh air; Taylor is coming to terms with who she is after washing herself clean of sour relationships. Her secret message hidden in this song says it all, “she lost him but she found herself and somehow that was everything”.

11. Wonderland – “We found wonderland, you and I got lost in it and we pretended it could last forever

We have gone mad for this catchy T-Swift bonus track! This song is fanciful yet eerie painting an image that Wonderland is a magical yet horrible place.  We also can’t help but love that “Cheshire cat smile” reference (a Harry Styles reference, maybe?).   

12. You are in love – “One night he wakes, strange look on his face pauses, then says, you’re my best friend and you knew what it was, he is in love

If this song lyric doesn’t make you say, “ OMG, I can’t even!” we don’t know what will! We adore that Taylor gives us a realistic impression of love; burnt toast, buttons on coats, and having a picture of you in office downtown. It’s what we all look for in true love!  We can’t help but get goose bumps when Taylor says “and why I’ve spent my whole life trying to put it into words”.

13. New Romantics –I could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me and every day is like a battle but every night with us is like a dream

Grab your besties and head out to the dance floor because this song is our new heartbreak anthem!   This Taylor Swift track is the final one on the extended edition and she goes out with a bang!   She embraces who she has become and captures that indie-pop-electronic sound that makes us want to dance all night! 

Lauren Whalley (pronounced like the Pixar movie, Wall-E) is a fashion and lifestyle enthusiast who loves sunset yoga, Sunday brunches, and all things whimsical.   You can frequently find her on strolling along Park Avenue, on the coast of Florida beaches or showing off her #DisneySide at Disney World.   She is currently a Junior at UCF studying Advertising-Public Relations with minors in Hospitality Management and Writing & Rhetoric.  Her favorite blog is written by her idol, Lauren Conrad, who she looks to keep up with the latest lifestlye trends. She dreams big and after college plans on marrying Niall Horan.   Follow Lauren on twitter at @LaurenWhalleyy to get a glimpse into her enchanting life. 
UCF Contributor