This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows very well that Coldplay is easily my favorite band. Their A Head Full of Dreams tour was my first concert, and some of my fondest memories from childhood include driving cross-country with my family while listening to ballads like “Clocks” and “A Rush of Blood to the Head.” 

At the time, I had no idea what any of their music meant — all I knew was that it sounded good. Now, having grown older and actually experienced emotions, I realize that there’s so much meaning in every beautifully-crafted track that Coldplay has ever released. Over the course of eight studio albums, Chris Martin, Guy Berryman, Will Champion and Johnny Buckland have been able to encapsulate the moments in life that often appear indescribable, whether that’s the addicting feeling of falling in love, the melancholy emotions of falling out of it, or simply the sincere hope of it all. Even if you’re not fond of the band, it’s no doubt that many of their lyrics stand the test of time. Here are 13 of my favorite ones:

“Be a bright red rose, come burst through the concrete.”

“Charlie Brown,” Mylo Xyloto

“Got to keep dancing when the lights go out.”

“Everyday Life,” Everyday Life

” ‘Cause you get lighter the more it gets dark.”

“A Sky Full of Stars,” Ghost Stories

“Oh, what good is it to live with nothing left to give?”

“Swallowed In the Sea,” X&Y

“But if you never try, you’ll never know just what you’re worth.”

“Fix You,” X&Y

“Nothing’s too broken to find our way back.”

“Fun,” A Head Full of Dreams

“Though heavily we bled, still on we crawl.”

“Don’t Let It Break Your Heart,” Mylo Xyloto

“Time just deepens, sweetens, and mends old friends.”

“Old Friends,” Everyday Life

“For your miracles outnumber all the stars out in the sky.”

“Cry Cry Cry,” Everyday Life

“Every chance you get is a chance you seize.”

“Speed of Sound,” X&Y

“Life has a beautiful crazy design.”

“Amazing Day,” A Head Full of Dreams

“But I won’t show or feel any pain, even if my armor might rust in the rain.”

“Up with the Birds,” Mylo Xyloto

“Sometimes, even the right is wrong.”

“Lovers In Japan / Reign of Love,” Viva la Vida

For the longest time, I never understood how people could identify so strongly with the lyrics of their favorite artists.  Music was never an escape for me — it was simply something I would listen to while driving to work or going on a long run. In recent moments though, I’ve truly realized the power of euphoric hymns mixed with electric guitars. The expressive melodies of Coldplay have taught me some valuable life lessons, many of which I now aspire to be emblematic of each day.

Emma is a senior at the University of Central Florida studying Anthropology and History. When she's not writing articles, she enjoys long-distance running, iced chai tea lattes , and advocating for students as a Senator for Student Government.
UCF Contributor