This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Music is a powerful art form that can instantly turn any bad mood into a great one. Whenever I am feeling down, getting ready for a night out or just relaxing after class, I am almost always listening to music. If I need a pick me up, I enjoy blasting songs that represent positive messages. Empowering songs are so impactful that they actually make me want to go out and do something positive with my life.

Music is calming, relaxing and has the power to make you escape into another reality. There are different genres of music that are related to specific moods and tones. When I’m sad I tend to listen to depressing songs or when I’m getting ready or hanging out with friends I enjoy upbeat and happy songs. Empowering music is so great to listen to because they can truly lift your spirits and keep you feeling positive. Whether you’re getting ready with your girls or going through a bad breakup, here are twelve empowering songs to listen to that will impact your mood.

1. “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten

Whenever you are feeling down, “Fight Song” could instantly make you feel good! The lyrics are so powerful and moving and will give you all the feels. Platten’s soulful voice is soothing and truly incredible. If you are ever feeling upset or in a bad mood, I recommend listening to this song because it’s guaranteed to uplift your mood. 

2. “Titanium” by David Guetta ft. Sia

“Titanium” is perfect if you are feeling self-conscious or just having a bad day because of its lyrics “you shoot me down but I won’t fall, I am titanium” and “I’m bulletproof nothing to lose.” Seriously hun, blast this song and sing on the top of the world because you are titanium!

3. “Survivor” by Destiny’s Child

“Survivor” is the type of song you should listen to if you want some inspiration. If Queen B is telling you “I’m a survivor, I’m not gon’ give up, I’m not gon’ stop, I’m gon’ work harder,” then sweetie, you better listen! This song will make you forget about all your worries in the world and make you feel empowered.

4. “Sorry Not Sorry” by Demi Lovato

Demi’s latest song “Sorry Not Sorry” is not only insanely catchy, but the lyrics are very impactful. Lovato will make you pick your head up and forget about the friend who stabbed you in the back. No matter what, you are a bad bitch and it’s okay not to be sorry!

5. “Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift

Let’s be real, anything Taylor Swift creates is pure gold, but it’s pretty much impossible not to dance around like a fool to “Shake It Off!” T-Swizzle is telling you it’s okay to shake off the hate and forget about anyone who hurt you!

6. “Miss Movin’ On” by Fifth Harmony

Fifth Harmony are the queens of girl power and this song will instantly help you get over your bad day, week or month. “Miss Movin’ On” is going to remind you to wipe your eyes, get up and move on with your life! You might feel broken right now, but I promise it gets better!

7. “No Scrubs” by TLC

“No Scrubs” is probably one my all time favorite songs! This 90s classic will remind you that you deserve someone who’ll treat you properly instead of a f**k boy. If you ever feel yourself falling for someone who doesn’t treat you like a queen or disrespects you in any way, just remember “a scrub is a guy that can’t get no love from me!”

8. “Miss Independent” by Kelly Clarkson

Kelly Clarkson is all about girl power and this hit single from 2003 will remind you that you are a strong woman who doesn’t need anyone or anything, especially not love. Of course, this song has a catchy beat that will make you feel nostalgic, but the lyrics are especially powerful. If you are ever feeling unloved or insecure, blast this song, scream at the top of your lungs and say goodbye to the old you because you are a strong, independent woman! 

9. “Most Girls” by Hailee Steinfeld

Self-confidence is something most girls struggle with and Hailee Steinfeld emphasizes that it’s okay “if you wanna change the body that you came in” but that you should remember “you look greatest when you feel like a damn queen.” Everyone looks different, and we are all beautiful in our own ways!

10. “Try” by Colbie Caillat

“Try” is one of the most empowering songs I have ever listened to because of Colbie Caillat’s message. It’s okay not to try so hard and the fact that you got up today is the only thing that truly matters. You could go for a run every morning, do your make up on and go shopping or you could just wake up and not do a single thing, either way, is perfectly okay! One of the most powerful lyrics in “Try” is, “Take your make up off let your hair down, take a breath, look into the mirror, at yourself, don’t you like you? Cause I like you.” Caillat is known for her inspiring songs and if you need a little inspiration, I recommend checking out this song!

11. “Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani

If you have never heard this song before, now is the time! Gwen Stefani was the queen of pop during the early 2000s and “Hollaback Girl” was everything! This song will make you feel like you are a freaking bad bitch and will have you screaming “I ain’t no Hollaback Girl!” Sing this song like nothing else matters in the world and I promise you will forget about all your worries.

12. “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga

It doesn’t matter where you come from or what you look like, you were born this way and you should embrace it! I struggle with self-esteem issues, but “Born This Way” has reminded me that the way I look is okay and instead of worrying about my looks I should focus on more important things. Just like Gaga says, “we are all born superstars” and don’t forget it!

CHECK OUT HCUCF’S OFFICIAL EMPOWERMENT PLAYLIST HERE: https://open.spotify.com/user/1284040255/playlist/1KeeNDBS0SSYMMtDJxhNSZ 

Cady is a senior at the University of Central Florida who is majoring in Writing & Rhetoric and minoring in Mass Communications. She's a lover of green tea, dogs and all things fashion. Cady has been writing her entire life and she hopes to pursue a career as a lifestyle magazine writer. If you want to follow her on social media, you can find her on Instagram and Facebook!
UCF Contributor