10 Ways To Save Money For Your Dream Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Every collegiette has dreams of traveling to a land far, far away, and college is the perfect time in your life to see the world before you begin working in the field of your study. I know what you’re thinking – “Traveling is expensive and most of us are on ‘Ramen Noodle budgets’.”

Lucky for you, jetsetting is made easy with Contiki, a website that specializes in epic journeys for 18- to 35-year-old travelers like you! And like their website says, “Memories aren’t created from the things you said you’d do. They’re built from the things you’ve done.” If you are on a tight budget or just need help putting away some extra bucks, I have created a guide to saving money for the trip of your dreams.

10. Take a coffee break…No, really!

It’s no secret that Starbucks coffee has magical powers that transform us into super-beings, especially after pulling all-nighters studying or whatever you did last night. But that quad-venti-upside-caramel-extra-hot-no-foam macchiato will cost you around 5 dollars or more. Imagine how much money you could save by skipping that facny, expensive drink, or replacing it with a less expensive option. If you can’t get over your Starbucks addiction, became a rewards card member, and start enjoying free refills on regular brewed coffee. Just add creamer and sugar that are complimentary and still get that same jolt of energy your body is craving.

9. Ride your bike or carpool

Not only will you look really hip riding your cute bike to school, but you will also be saving a ton of money on gas and helping out the environment as well. Most collegiettes live near their campus, so instead of driving your vehicle on campus, ride a bike and avoid fighting for a parking spot! If you don’t have a bike or have no interest in purchasing one, try carpooling with your friends or roommates. 

8. Change your eating habits

Eating out several times a week is convenient for the average college student but can become rather expensive. Cooking meals at home is a lot less costly, and if you are cooking for yourself you can eat your delicious leftovers for the next couple days. This also gives you the opportunity to try all those awesome recipes you have pinned to your boards on Pinterest. If you are lacking Pinsperation, Her Campus UCF has you covered.

7. Plan ahead

Going out of the country on your dream trip can be overwhelming, especially when you’re talking dollar signs. Instead of trying to pay for the entire trip at once, put down a deposit with Contiki Layaway. Give yourself a weekly/monthly goal of savings and once you reach your goal, put that money toward your trip before you have time to blow it on partying or whatever. You will thank yourself when you’re on the plane to your dream destination.

6. Get a reusable water bottle

Believe it or not, buying water bottles can become quite expensive. Carry around a reusable water bottle and fill it up at water fountains instead of paying 5 dollars for a pack of 24 water bottles that will last around a week, depending on how much water you drink. At UCF, the student union even has a special water bottle spout attached to the water fountains. Trust me, this is something I’ve done personally and I now wonder why I ever paid so much for water before.

5. Lights off

I don’t want to sound like your mother, but if you’re not using it, flip the switch and conserve energy. In the middle of the day, open your blinds instead of using your bedroom light. We do live in the “Sunshine State” after all, so enjoy the natural light we receive on a daily basis and save money while you’re at it. Get your roommates involved with your conservation as well and watch your energy bill go down.

4. Get your passport and visas now

If you don’t already have them, that is. The US Government Website will give you all the information you need to know about getting your first passport, including how much time it will take and how much it will cost. Depending on your travel destination, you may also need a visa. Visit Contiki to learn more about Passport and Visa requirements.

3. Get the most bang for your buck

Contiki has over 30 trips under $1,200 to some of the most desired destinations in the world. This price tag may seem like a lot to the average college student, but compared to other options out there, this is a steal!

2. “You’re never too rich to throw away pennies”

A wise woman once told me this, and it is very true. People forget that “change” is still money, and it doesn’t take long for it all to add up. Save all of your change in a piggy bank and at the end of the year you will be surprised to see how much money that spare change has turned into.

1. Make it a party!

Taking your friends along with you will not only make your trip that much more fun, but it will save you money as well! Find out how much money you can save by simply traveling with your friends.

Finally, sit back and enjoy your dream vacation! Contiki has many money saving tips and options for collegiettes everywhere. For more information, visit their website and discover what they have to offer. http://www.contiki.com/

Matt Fultz is a sophomore studying Marketing and Magazine Journalism. He is currently the official fashion blogger of Her Fashion and contributing writer for HCUCF. After college, Matt hopes to work for a fashion magazine in NYC and gain a reputation as a fashion photographer. Follow Matt on Twitter: @MattWFultz for fashion updates and more! 
UCF Contributor