10 Movies That Inspire Travel

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Art imitates life, and as someone who is a total entertainment junkie, I am overtly aware of the impact that cinema has on its audience. I’m “that girl” who endlessly speaks in movie quotes, falls in love with fictional characters time and time again, internally scores music to my everyday life and will talk your ear off about symbolism, characterization and irony in films. Let’s just say movies and I have a beautiful, lifelong love story.

Movies are undoubtedly an art form, an escape, a language. A language that is constantly saying “Get up. Go. Explore. Make stories.” I comprised a list of 10 movies I loved that inspire travel. Because nothing’s better than combining two of the most wonderful things this world has to offer: movies and travel.

• P.S. I Love You

• Not only is this movie beautiful in its sentimentality, but its sights are breathtaking. Being a forever-freckled lass named Molly, it’s in my genetic predisposition to be intrigued by Ireland. After seeing this movie, it immediately shot “Travel to Ireland” to the number one spot on my bucket list. It ties the expanse greenery and countryside with an incredible story, and what you get from that is feelings. Lots of them. Feelings that can only be mended by taking refuge in Ireland.

• The Sound of Music

• I may or may not have spent most of my childhood singing and dancing to every song from this classic movie. One particular thing I’ve taken from it, other than still knowing all of the lyrics and seven Von Trapp children’s names, is that I want to go to Austria! I want to be doted along the Austrian countryside with Fräulein Maria! I want to be caught singing in the abbey! I want to spin on a mountain top and belt “the hillllls are aliiiiive with the sound of muuuusic”!

• The Holiday

• One of my favorites because who doesn’t go through a bad break-up and just want to escape to a new place? Maybe even meet a kind, smart and funny suitor in this new place as well! I mean, I wouldn’t hate it. The Holiday depicts the way that traveling can be a way to grow, experience and let go. Showing the best of both worlds – sunny and fast-paced Los Angeles, California and cozy and quaint life in Surrey, England.

• Sex and The City (1&2)

• These movies, while often scandalously portraying romantic lust, do an incredible job at provoking a different kind of lust in us all – wanderlust. From the glamorous streets of NYC to the beaches of Mexico to the sandy resorts of Abu Dhabi, the four besties are living a traveler’s dream. Everywhere they go is bright, colorful and picturesque.

• An American In Paris

• I’ve always loved classic movies, and I’ve always had the hots for the ever-charming Gene Kelly. Especially the Gene Kelly playing a veteran who just wants to make a reputation as an artist in the lovely streets of Paris. Focusing on talented struggling artists, it exemplifies the artsy and creative aspect of Paris as well as featuring all of the beautiful French landmarks. Yes, please.

• Roman Holiday

• Speaking of classics, how perfect are Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck? Pretty perfect, right? Now make her a rebellious princess and have them explore the historic streets of Rome hand-in-hand. Beyond perfect. It’s in black-and-white but it still makes me drool over the romantic beauty of Rome.

• Eat, Pray, Love

• We’ve all dreamt about it. The idea of taking the plunge and embarking on a journey around the world and of self discovery. Elizabeth Gilbert, played by Julia Roberts, tackles all noteworthy traveling bullet-points. Eating too much in Italy, praying in India, finding love in Indonesia, and everything in between. The scenery is just unbelievable. So unbelievable I think we should all go and see for ourselves! Any takers?

• Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants (1&2)

• Not only did these pants travel, but they travelled well! Bridget took them to soccer camp in Mexico, on archeological digs in Turkey and to grandmother’s house in Alabama they go. Tibby trots them around NYC. Carmen rocks them in South Carolina and Vermont. Lena’s at school in Rhode Island, but those pants just can’t seem to get enough of Greece. Us either, pants.

• The Darjeeling Limited

• Wes Anderson films are always colorful, fun and just downright aesthetically pleasing. Their train ride to India involves plenty of mishaps and tons of visuals that incite traveler’s inspiration in all of us. It specifically depicts the vivid culture and character of India in an exciting way. Not to mention, it may be uncomfortable and take longer, but I think there’s something nostalgic and romantic about a train ride. All aboard the Darjeeling Limited!

• Any Mary-Kate and Ashley movie ever

• Ok. There goes all of my film validity, but on the real, MK & A got to go to the coolest places. In. Every. Movie. They were usually switching the names Riley & Chloe between them and jet-setting anywhere and everywhere. Each movie offered a different dream spot, a different crop of cute dudes for them to flirt with and a different adventure. If I had half of the stamps in the Olsen twins passport books, I would be one very happy camper.

If the recollection of these films and the places they took you with them inspired you at all, then get out of town! Contiki is the world-wide leader for 18 to 35s and offers awesome trips for almost all of these places, as well as others. So check it out and be sure to take videos that will induce wanderlust in its viewers. Happy trails!

Visit http://www.contiki.com/ and get going!

Molly Slicker is a Human Communication major with a minor in Film. She is an entertainment junkie who appreciates good humor, good vocabulary and good friends. She gets way too attached to fictional characters and her favorite sports teams. She is inspired by her family, faith and the 2001-2002 cast of Saturday Night Live. Follow Molly on Twitter for mostly sarcastic updates about celebrities and her life's awkward situations or on Instagram for pictures of her feeble attempts at craftiness
UCF Contributor