This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner! This Hallo-week, spend some time getting in the Halloween mood watching all sorts of creepy, scary, and even silly Halloween movies.

Invite some friends over to carve pumpkins, create costumes, hang last minute decorations and create crafts, and throw on one of these classic Halloween horror flicks to get in the mood!

Turn on a movie while hanging out candy to trick-or-treaters, complete with Halloween themed snacks. Check out this article or our Pinterest board for some ideas of snacks and drinks to make to enjoy your Halloween evening before heading out for a night of fright and fun.

The Omen (1976)

A couple that seems to have it all actually have the Antichrist for a child . . . it doesn’t get much scarier than that. Add in a suicidal nanny screaming, “Look at me, Damien! It’s all for you!” and you have pure terror.

Eraserhead (1977)

There’s really no explaining this one. In David Lynch’s masterpiece, Henry Spencer tries to survive his outlandish, industrialized environment, his angry girlfriend, and the unbearable screams of his newborn mutant child. Don’t try to “get it”, just watch and be weirded out.

Suspiria (1977)

In this movie nothing is what it seems. Director Dario Argento employs an atmospheric type of scary that keeps viewers on their seat, building up the suspense in the European ballerina academy. As the 35 year-old trailer describes, “The only thing more terrifying than the last 12 minutes of this film are the first 92.″

Halloween (1978)

The title says it all for this one. Michael Myers is the villain in this Halloween classic, and this is the movie that started it all, so throw it on to get the week started off on a scary note!

Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Add to the creepy atmosphere of Halloween by throwing in an oldie. Everyone knows, loves, and is scared to death of Freddie Kruger, who haunts the dreams of his victims. Just make sure you leave on a nightlight so you’re not too scared.

Evil Dead II (1987)

Perhaps the scariest in Director Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead Trilogy, the second Evil Dead picks up right where the first left off, and continues the terror instilled by the Book of the Dead with a slightly less campy horror and a higher budget. Think chainsaws, cabins, and someone fighting their own hand. Check out the whole trilogy and the remake of Evil Dead if you’re into a more modernized feel.

Hocus Pocus (1993)

For the faint of heart, Hocus Pocus is a classic alternative filled with witches, a talking black cat, a franken-zombie creature, and Halloween magic to stay in the spirit of the season.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Of course, there’s always Tim Burton’s Claymation creation to serve as the perfect not-so-scary movie, playing in the background while handing out candy to trick-or-treaters. It’s so familiar no one will mind missing a few moments now and then for doorbell rings, plus it’s fun to sing along to!

The Sixth Sense (1999)

Anyone who’s seen this movie remembers it, and may or may not be haunted by it. So pop it in the DVD player and let everyone’s favorite ghost-boy scare the pants off of you this Hallo-week.

The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

This is one of the more modern, actually awesome horror movies. It isn’t exactly “horror” but something like “horror/mystery/thriller,” and it will surprise just about any viewer. Halloween is filled with surprises, and so is this movie. Treat yourself and some friends to snacks, drinks, and a fun movie this hallo-weekend!

After you see it, check out Halloween Horror Nights The Cabin in the Woods themed house!