This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

What started off as a normal day, scrolling down my social media timelines, ended in a tragedy. Myself and millions across the world discovered the premature death of Malcolm McCormick, better known as Mac Miller. Often referred to as ‘Boy Wonder,’ Mac Miller was a pioneer for millennial hip-hop culture. He broke many boundaries with pure authenticity and musical imagination, and he will indeed be missed. Below are 10 songs performed by Mac Miller, engineered for the most empowered females:

1. “Best Day Ever”

Debuting in his fifth mixtape, “Best Day Ever” is a popular anthem you might’ve run across. This song allowed Mac to send positive vibes mainstream. Everyone in 2011 had to find out more about this independent, white rapper from Pittsburgh. “Best Day Ever” is the perfect feel-good song for any collegiate to start off their day!

Key Lyrics:

//No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile / Pursuit to be happy, only laughing like a child / I never thought life would be this sweet, It got me cheesin’ from cheek to cheek.

And I ain’t gonna wait for nothing, cause that just ain’t my style. Life couldn’t be better

This is gone be the best day ever. //

2. “The Mourning After”

“The Mourning After” is featured on Mac’s first album released in 2012 after BDE’s success. During this song, Mac reveals for the first time the hopeless romantic in him. At his concert I attended in 2015, he stated that he made music for women, and I felt that. There isn’t a girl I know out there that has never been swept off her feet, only for it to not make any sense whatsoever. Mac lets us know that one day it’ll all make sense.

Key Lyrics:

// Something ’bout the pain makes me want more / Done a lotta drugs, never felt like this before / I hope one day it all makes sense, it’ll all make sense / You can have it all, tell me what you need / Believing all them silly things you read / I hope one day it all makes sense, one day it’ll all make sense. //

3. “Small Worlds”

Self-explanatory, but a banger nonetheless. The world is very small and many things come in full circles; however, you can break those circles and make a small world very, very big. There’s also a key lyric in this song that states, “Why you always at the mall when you broke?” The first time I heard that, I sighed saying to myself “…true.” (and I know you did too!)

Key Lyrics:

// The world is so small, ’til it ain’t / I’m building up a wall, ’til it break / She hate it when I call, and it’s late / I don’t wanna keep you waiting / I hope I never keep you waiting / I think I know it all, but I don’t.

Why you always at the mall when you broke, and I just wanna ball / Maybe dunk but I’ve never been tall I might trip, I never fall / God knows I came close–(don’t try this at home)

I know I probably need to do better / Forget whoever / Keep my life together / You never told me being rich was so lonely / Nobody know me, oh well / Hard to complain from this five-star hotel. //

4. “Smile Back”

Have you ever had a really awesome day where even the most wicked venom couldn’t touch you? Did you ever have a day when you decided vengeance wasn’t for you? You were channeling energy from Mac’s “Smile Back.” This fast-paced jam can give you an adrenaline rush. Always forget those haters and “Smile Back” girl!

Key Lyrics: 

// You was talking smack, now I’m somebody you would love to be / Imma do my thing until the day the reaper come for me / You can keep on grillin’, Imma smile back, smile back

Tell them haters call your army, bring your tanks, Imma big boy with a big boy bank / Self-employed, independent, once you start, don’t take no breaks / Work until I get it, I bet it’s gon take a second / But once I start up my engine I’m gone, too fast to catch him. //

5. “Objects In the Mirror”

My favorite lyrics of all time are from this song: “People love you when they’re on your mind, a thought is love’s currency.” This is my favorite lyric mostly because of the truth it holds: if someone thinks about you, their love is driven off that. Mac was very positive and uplifting, especially towards the ladies. When he spoke directly to his audience he told us how precious life is, and how there is never a need to take our lives. The power in that message meant a lot to me when the song debuted and will continue to influence generations to come.

Key Lyrics:

// You got the world right in your hands / And that responsibility is inescapable I promise that I’ll be a different man / Please give me the chance to go and live again / I’m having some trouble can you give a hand / It seems perfection really is unattainable / Don’t even say you about to end it all

Your life precious ain’t a need to go and kill yourself / I’m not so sure that there’s an end at all I wish the truth would just reveal itself / Who do you call to make it to the top / And, who do you call to make the shootin’ stop / And who do you call to give the coup a wash? After every thing I did I think I’m still myself. //

6. “Weekend”

“Weekend” has depth behind its catchy tune. It exemplifies the mistrust we develop in others due to previous wrong advice. No matter how stressful our lives are in our culture, when the weekend comes struggles are swept under the rug. How many “TGIF” Snapchat filters have you used? We put so much meaning and love in the weekends—who can’t relate to just getting the week over with to be good by the weekend? 

Key Lyrics: // Go long days, longer nights / Talk too much, the wrong advice / All the lights, and call my life / Doctor, doctor, will you help me / Keep me healthy, keep it lowest you can help me / Ain’t shit you can tell me now// But I’ll be good by the weekend. //

7. “Youforia”

“Youforia” discusses the meaning of euphoria, but in the context of a person; as in, a person supplied Mac with the intense elation of a euphoric feeling. As a fellow hopeless romantic, I believe this is the highest level of love. Fun fact: I actually wanted to get “Youforia” tattooed years ago after hearing this song; however, everyone I relayed the idea to just didn’t get it. 

Key Lyrics:

// I can’t do no wrong when you are an angel / With you by my side, you are my euphoria / And when you look in my eyes the pain goes a-way, euphoria / You feel so damn good, (I want you to know that) / Just come take my hand closer / We could go to the moon / Look at my eyes as we’re here (living) euphoria / Now when you lay in my arms the pain goes a-way, euphoria. //

8. “Donald Trump”

This song was released before the 2016 election, and Mac was actually threatened by President Trump with a lawsuit for misuse of his name. No matter your political opinion, this song has a multitude of “bars.” The contagious beat results in head nodding and shoulder bopping. The lyrics are too explicit to fully analyze here, but are inspiring and do more good than harm. “Donald Trump” by Mac Miller is every boss babe’s anthem. I’d play this song before an exam to get me out of my head!

9. “Missed Calls”

Taking it to a slower pace, “Missed Calls” by Mac is rap’s version of Maroon 5’s “This Love.” The leading lady at the time in Mac’s life gave him too many run-arounds, and eventually, it became time for her to leave. Both songs can be a lesson to tell him “boy bye,” ladies! I also say never let someone show you who they are more than once–Mac and Maroon 5 back me up, so that’s practically scientific evidence. Know your worth and never let anyone toy you around, girl.

Key Lyrics:

// You just don’t love me like you used to, think I’m ’bout to lose you / Imma end this now before things just confuse you / Kept breaking’ promises you said you’d keep / So you can leave a message at the beep

Said baby I got missed calls and e-mails / All going into details about how you just not happy and you think you got to leave so / Go, I’ll be fine on my own. //

10. “Self-Care”

This song is also self-explanatory. We can all learn a lesson from Mac and the untimeliness of his death. Self-care is as vital as caring for others and includes more than just physical health. Self-care deals with improving yourself, eating and sleeping regularly, and decreasing stress factors. Self-care is making sure your needs are met and waking up the best version of yourself possible. Like the song says, just climb over the wall, the height may be too tall, and you may fall–—but as long as you’re caring for yourself in the process, you’ll be alright. In this sense, I think we should all do as Mac says, not as he did, but also not beat ourselves up if we slip. Rest in peace to one of the greatest.

Key Lyrics:

// Climbing over that wall, I remember it all / Swear the height be too tall, so like September I fall / Self-care, I’m treating me right, Hell yeah, we going to be alright. //

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Cescely is studying Health Service Administration at the University of Central Florida. She aims to make a difference by personally reducing hospital errors. Cescely has a knack for politics, popular culture, sexual equality, and nutrition. Some of Cescely's favorite things include the month of December, writing poetry, and feel good music.
UCF Contributor