10 Little Things To Be Thankful For At UCF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you attend UCF, I hope you already know how amazing of a school it is. From Spirit Splash, our amazing sports teams, the educated professors and advisors, and even the hundreds of clubs, UCF is a great school that provides opportunities to thousands of students every day. However, I’ve realized there are quite a few little things around campus that make me happy that no one ever seems to notice. With it being November and Thanksgiving coming up, I just wanted to give thanks to these little things all over UCF campus.

1. Knightro. Whenever I see our fun loving mascot, I can’t help but smile. Whether it be at a sports game or promoting events all over campus, Knightro will be sure to brighten my day with just a wave.

2. Service dogs (in training). Although I cannot pet these four legged pals most of the time, seeing a dog while walking to class is exciting. Watching the CCI pups adds an extra boost of excitement, knowing one day they will be helping people who really need them.

3. $1 Ice Cream Wednesdays. I don’t know about you, but ice cream can probably solve about ½ my problems on the spot. Not only does Wednesday mean hump day, but for us lucky UCF students, it means Toppers has ice cream that won’t break the bank.

4. Rock Climbing Wall. Exercise isn’t always fun- that is fact. However, with the rock climbing wall in the RWC, we’re able to get a good exercise in without it ACTUALLY feeling like we’re exercising. A dream come true.

5. All Knight Study. From free printing to a good place for working on group projects, AKS always has your back. With 2 locations on campus, it makes it very easy to have a quiet, reliable place to study between classes.

6. Shuttle Service. Sometimes the Florida sun becomes unbearably hot. This is where the shuttles come in. Not only is it convenient to get across campus in the shortest amount of time, but it can also take you to Plaza on University and other off campus housing locations.

7. SEPS. Another incredibly useful transportation service on campus would be SEPS, which generously has its phone number on the back of all of our student ID cards. SEPS has picked me up late at night and delivered me safely to my dorm many times and I honestly don’t think those golf cart drivers and dispatchers are given enough thanks.

8. The Reflection Pond. This is more evident when there’s actually water in the pond, but overall the reflection pond area is just incredibly relaxing. Sitting over there while studying not only gets you in touch with your “nature side,” but it’s normally not crowded, so you can be sure to get something done.

9. “Knight” Events. During homecoming week, there’s a “Comedy Knight” and “Concert Knight,” both of which are free of charge for UCF students. Even around winter time, there is Light Up UCF, that has free student nights. These events are a great place to create friendships and just go for an enjoyable evening.

10. Free Shirts. Who doesn’t love free things? Every couple of weeks, there is a line somewhere on campus with people waiting for a free t-shirt. They sometimes run out before you get it, but if you’re lucky enough to score a Homecoming, Spirit Splash, or even Thanksgiving UCF shirt, remember to be thankful for it.

Bonus for my fellow on-campus residents:

11. Housekeeping Staff. When I heard my friends at other colleges did not have a housekeeping staff for on-campus residents, I just felt they had to be included on this list. My suite mates and I were blessed with Gloria, who is one of the sweetest women imaginable. These people do so much and rarely get the appreciation they deserve, so if you live on campus and happen to see the person who cleans your bathroom/floor, make sure to remind them you appreciate them and wish them a happy Thanksgiving.

I know how easy it can be to take these little things for granted, but please try not to. Just remember how lucky you are to be at the best college in the country this Thanksgiving. Go Knights! Charge on!

Lauren is a senior at the University of Central Florida. She is pursuing a Legal Studies major and a Sociology minor. Her career goal is to be a guardian ad litem attorney for children in the foster care system. When she isn't blasting her music (Taylor Swift and Jake Miller primarly), you can find her bingewatching Shane Dawson Youtube videos or eating way too many french fries. She has 3 dogs who she loves with all her heart. She loves to volunteer with kids and animals. Her favorite (non domesticated) animal is a panda bear, her favorite colors are pink and blue, and she is pretty sure she's the next Disney princess. She's very politically involved and loves writing. Feel free to keep up with her on social media!
UCF Contributor