This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

For the longest time, boy bands have always been a profitable essence in the music industry. They’ve kept a lasting mark in pop culture, evolving through the decades, from *NYSNC to One Direction to BTS.

The same can’t be said about girl bands. They were prominent in the ‘90s and early 2000s with the Spice Girls and Destiny’s Child, but since then it almost seems like they’ve withered away from the limelight. Even in K-Pop, where girl groups are constantly debuting every year, these women are usually overshadowed by their male counterparts.

Still, that doesn’t mean that girl bands have disappeared from the face of the Earth. There are still so many out there that are breaking the boundaries of music, yet aren’t getting the attention they deserve.

So, as we have made our way to March, Women’s History Month, what better time is there than now to bring attention to some girl groups with amazing music? Here are 10 girl bands to celebrate Women’s History Month with!

Boys World

Boys World is a 5-member American girl group that debuted last year in October of 2020. The band has everything we love about ‘90s girl groups: the choreography, vocals, outfits and female solidarity. So far, they’ve only released two songs, “Girlfriends” and “Wingman,” along with a teaser single “please hold.” With just a few minutes of material, Boys World has been taking the internet by storm.

At the root of it all, Boys World is a group of friends making music with a wave of success coming for them.

Las Villa

Latin music is a very male-dominated genre. There are plenty of female artists who have gained accolades in the industry, but their male counterparts have always been the ones with higher incomes, status and success. That’s what makes Las Villa’s advancing success so important. The Colombian duo, consisting of twins Laura and Lucia Villa, blends Latin pop, reggaeton and R&B to produce beautiful music about heartbreak and love.

FAKY

FAKY is a J-Pop girl group that has faced a lot of lineup changes, but their music has always been consistent in quality. Their band name is an acronym that hints at the attitude and passion within their music: “Five Ass Kicking Youngsters,” or “Four Ass Kicking Youngsters” when their lineup only consisted of four members. They’ve played with a variety of genres throughout their career, but they’ve always brought strong vocals and unique visuals with them.

The Aces

The Aces are my current obsession and the perfect band for fans of The 1975 and The Neighborhood. This quartet has been making music since 2012, originally as The Blue Aces until changing to The Aces in 2016. Three of the four members identify as queer, and for most of the band’s career, their songs always used gender-neutral pronouns. That was, until the release of their song “Kelly” from their Under The Influence album, which explicitly referred to the aforementioned Kelly with she/her pronouns. The Aces have managed to break boundaries in the band industry as an all-girl band whose music speaks to the soul, enticing all kinds of emotions.

Avenue Beat

Avenue Beat is another example of TikTok’s influence on the music industry. Their single “F2020” is a full, revamped version of their popular TikTok sound “Lowkey Fuck 2020.” The trio’s signature sound has roots in pop and country, reflecting their Illinois upbringing. The three women also have roots in theater, and you can hear it in their harmonies and lyrical knowledge. The group has stated that they’ve faced ups and downs, but just like “F2020” prophesied, they’re entering 2021 with their heads up and new music to entertain you with.

Good Girl

Good Girl is a four-member girl group that’s inspired by iconic ‘90s R&B bands like TLC, SWV, Xscape and Destiny’s Child. They have a sultry sound, keeping them in bedroom jams playlists, but their lyrics are rich in themes of independence, sexual confidence and power. Each member has their own official color — red, blue, yellow and orange — highlighting every girls’ unique style and aesthetic. Good Girl is a black girl manifesto, showing everyone just how colorful black girl magic can be.

TWICE

TWICE is continuously named South Korea’s ‘nation’s girl group.’ The nine members have grown a lot in their almost six-year-long career, and their discography reflects that. Initially showing a more youthful and cute concept in their music, TWICE has gone on to flip the switch with more mature and powerful themes. If there’s one word to define the group, it would be ‘flexible.’ They’ve got a song for everybody, and they jump from genre to genre in ways I haven’t seen before. TWICE is the perfect girl group for people who love complex choreography and catchy choruses. 

TRAMP STAMPS

Listening to TRAMP STAMPS is like taking a time machine back to the early 2000s. Their two singles, “Sex With Me” and “1-800-miss-ur-guts” make you feel like you’re starring in a coming-of-age teen movie. Past their punk sound, TRAMP STAMPS takes a predominantly male genre and turns their music into a commentary on fragile masculinity and misogyny. The band is still fairly new, so there’s still so much to come from their energetic-profane-skate-punk style.

Crimson Apple

Crimson Apple, another TikTok famous group, has a more modern take on rock music. Their music is inspired by the genres pop-punk and alternative, but their style branches out into the influence of K-pop, J-rock and indie. The band, made up of four sisters, provokes the pop genre by tackling themes like the mental disputes of toxic relationships. Crimson Apple’s frontwoman, Colby, always amplifies their songs with her powerful vocals, which she laces with intense emotions and addictive harmonies. Crimson Apple is the perfect band to keep under your radar if you’re a fan of Paramore, PVRIS or All Time Low.

VanJess

VanJess is an R&B duo, made up of sisters Ivana and Jessica. The women are Nigerian-American, of Igbo origin, and display their African heritage through their pleasing art. In a world that expects all black women to fit into a specific box, VanJess breaks down stereotypes and barriers through their soft vocals, tender visuals and emotional lyricism. VanJess is making a name for themselves as the future of soul as they work with the standard, all while paving their own way for themselves.

Despite constantly being defined through stereotypes, girl bands are currently reconstructing the very idea of what a ‘girl band’ is. Even if they’re not topping charts, girl groups are combining genres and aesthetics to bring something new every time.

With social media sites like TikTok and Instagram, you’re able to support them easier than ever. With just your views and likes, you can transform a girl band’s career forever.

Monyka (she/they), pronounced like "Monica" is the current Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UCF. She's currently a senior majoring in Creative Writing. Normally found in her room scrolling through Twitter, Tik Tok, or Instagram and browsing Netflix. You can also catch her around campus, binging on coffee and listening to music.
UCF Contributor