10 Childhood Bops to Make You Forget You’re in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The other day I left my apartment a bit later than usual, having missed my first few alarms and forgetting my keys twice. Naturally, I turned on my music during the walk to class, trying to focus on anything besides how antsy I was. If you’re a Spotify user, you know the excitement of getting a new Discover Weekly playlist, and it was the one thing I was looking forward to playing that morning. Then, it happened.

As I was racing across the campus sidewalks, “If That’s Not Love” by The Naked Brothers Band came on. I was instantly cured of all my morning worries. While plagued by the constant stress of classes, staying involved, and somehow not going broke all at once, it’s nice to be reminded of simpler times. Adding elements of the other exciting times in my life to my current situation makes me remember all the little parts of me, and I hope to inspire that within you all. So, without further ado, here is a list of ten songs to take you back in time! 

“If That’s Not Love” by The Naked Brothers Band

Naturally, I’m starting off this list with the song that started it all. My cousin and I used to sneak off from tennis games in Colombia to watch their show on the locker room TV. Can I get a “#iconic” please?

“Year 3000” by the Jonas Brothers

Come on. We all know we remember exactly where we were when we found out they were coming back. Do yourself a favor and stream the Jo Bros this weekend.

“Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga

That French part? The absolute satisfaction of finally learning that part? The beat? Gaga’s voice? All perfect. This song is a masterpiece. 

“Promiscuous” by Nelly Furtado ft. Timbaland

I don’t know how to explain it (even though I’m sure you get it) but this song makes me feel unstoppable. Play it the next time you need a mood booster. 

“We Are Young” by fun. ft. Janelle Monáe

Every single time this song comes on, no matter who I’m with, everyone always starts singing. If that doesn’t speak for itself, I don’t know what does.

“Viva La Vida” by Coldplay

Tell me you don’t recognize this song within the first, like, five seconds of it playing.

“Don’t You Worry Child” by Swedish House Mafia ft. John Martin

This song has the range. Whether you get teary-eyed from the message or just start pretending you’re at a rave, it’s always a good time with this song playing.

“Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani

This is a girl ANTHEM, aka there was literally no way to not include it.

“Love Story” by Taylor Swift

Was I the only one who pretended they were in a super dramatic music video when listening to this? No? Didn’t think so. Old T-Swift for the WIN.

“Gives You Hell” by The All-American Rejects

This song goes so hard. If there’s anything I can pinpoint as being part of my brand, it’s early 2000s rock. Even if you can’t relate, I’m sure you can still jam to this song like it’s on the radio in ‘08.

Listening to good music, old or new, is something I think really helps improve moods. Hopefully, this list gave you a tinge of cute nostalgia and helped put you back on some of the good stuff. Just try not to be late to class while listening. Happy streaming!

Images: 1

Juana Bernal is a Colombian from South Florida learning to navigate the wonders of Central Florida. When not studying to pursue their degree in Psychology, they can be found somewhere outside, checking out new fashion inspo or studying up on astrology.
UCF Contributor