10 Celebrities That Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It would be an understatement to say that this year has been a rollercoaster of emotions. Watching the news has been emotionally draining. Between record breaking natural disasters and violent protests, it is easy to lose hope. There seems to be one tragedy after another. I mean can we get a break! There is so much darkness in the world that you find yourself asking where the light is. I personally turn to the people who are doing good and making a difference in the world, especially celebrities who are blessed and selfless enough to give help and hope to people who need it. Even though this year has been rough, there has also been times that you couldn’t help but smile at the kindness that Here are 10 celebrities that will restore your faith in humanity (in no particular order):

1. Beyoncé

Beyoncé announced the Formation Scholars awards earlier this year. This $100,000 scholarship was created to encourage young women who are pursuing studies such as, creative arts, literature, music, or African-American studies. Beyoncé has always encouraged women in her music, so it is refreshing to see that she is doing the same through different mediums. She also served food in her hometown Houston, Texas after Hurricane Harvey.

2. Bruno Mars

Flint, Michigan has contaminated drinking water that contains several toxins. Unfortunately, the city’s drinking water has been tainted for a few years now. Although the water quality has improved, the lead pipes still have to be replaced. Just last month, Bruno Mars made a generous donation of $1 million to the Flint Water Crisis Aid. The money will most likely be used to replace the lead pipes and it is expected to be completed in a few years.

3.Chance The Rapper

Earlier this year the Chicago-born rapper donated $1 million to Chicago’s public school system. This is especially crazy since Chance was not signed to a label. His $1 million donation showed how much he cared for his community and wanted Chicago to strive by improving education.

4. Demi Lovato

Helping people in need does not always have to be through money. Just this month, Demi Lovato released a YouTube original documentary called Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated. The documentary goes through her journey battling several addictions, the highs and lows of her career, and her personal family and love life. The whole documentary is inspiring as she is now at a better and healthier place in her life. She gives people who going through dark times hope. She is living proof that someone go through dark times and make it to the other side. 

5. Logic

The rapper has songs in which he talks about touchy subjects in society. His song “Black Spiderman” talks about how people should accept diversity. His most recent popular song “1-800-273-8255” talks about suicide and how life is worth living. He went as far as to name the song after the number of a suicide hotline. Music is so powerful that it can save people from choosing a permanent solution for a temporary problem.

6. Ariana Grande

This year was devastating for Ariana Grande and her fans due to the tragedy of the bomb that detonated at an arena in Manchester at the end of her concert. It’s safe to say that she was traumatized, devastated, and heartbroken over the lives that were lost. Instead of staying away from Manchester, which would have been a reasonable response, she went back and visited the victims in the hospital. She also put together a benefit concert called One Love Manchester in just one week after the tragedy and invited her celebrity friends to perform. Some of the celebrities that performed were Coldplay, Justin Bieber, the Black Eyed Peas, Niall Horan, and Katy Perry. The funds from the concert was given to the victims and their families. The concert united people and there was nothing but love in the air.

7. Zendaya

Zendaya is never afraid to stand up for what she believes in. She likes to share her thoughts on politics, racism, sexism, and so much more. Although this is usually seen on her Twitter, she also delves into these topics in real life and on her app. After receiving a Teen Choice Award for Female Choice Summer Movie Star, she turned her thank you speech into a PSA for young people to get educated and pay attention to injustices in our own country. Regarding to the app, in the midst of articles and videos that talk about her projects, fashion, lifestyle, and beauty she also has content that talks about serious issues going on in our country. A few examples are an article on tips to protest safely, an article about the rights to know if a cop pulls you over, and a video on how people can contribute to the Hurricane Harvey relief in Houston. As a birthday gift, she asked her fans to donate what they could to help the citizens of Houston. It is inspiring to see a young woman using her platform to spread news, educate the youth, and give back to communities.

8. Tom Holland

You can use plenty of adjectives to describe a superhero, but overall they are just good people at heart. That’s why Tom Holland is the perfectly casted as the new Spiderman. While promoting the movie earlier in the year, the young actor visited children’s hospitals around the world dressed as Spiderman. He talked to the kids, showed them the suit, and even showed one of the kids a flip. He put a smile on their faces. It is nice to know that the guy playing the superhero is also a good person and giving back.

9. Pitbull

After Hurricane Maria destroyed Puerto Rico recently, Pitbull leant his private jet to get cancer patients to the United States. Cancer patients need constant care and resources. Under those circumstances, Puerto Rican cancer patients would have severely suffered. 

10. Jennifer Lopez

Jennifer Lopez is Puerto Rican so it’s obvious why she wanted to help after Hurricane Maria demolished Puerto Rico. This month she took the initiative to put on a benefit concert called One Voice: Somos Live! for disaster relief. The concert was also for the Carribean and Mexico since they have faced hardships due to natural disasters as well. The concert included Ricky Martin, Maroon 5, Stevie Wonder, Gwen Stefani, Prince Royce, Demi Lovato, Daddy Yankee, Marc Anthony, Jennifer Lopez herself, and many more. There were also celebrities answering phones while people donated like Kim Kardashian, Derek Hough, Vanessa Hudgens, Ciara, and Zoe Saldana to name a few.

Celebrities may have a lot to give, but we can also help others in need. Any little thing we can give can make a difference and help someone in need. Hopefully these moments put a smile on your face and gave you a little hope. It’s easy to get lost in the immorality and sadness going on in the world, but it is important to know that there are moments of happiness and virtuous people in the world.

Photo credit: Cover Photo, Gif 1Gif 2, Gif 3, Gif 4, Gif 5Gif 6, Gif 7, Gif 8, Gif 9Gif 10

Melanie Ararat is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida. She is the Marketing and Publicity co-director for Her Campus UCF. She is majoring in journalism and minoring in political science. Writing has always been her passion since she could literally pick up a pencil (they were just scribbles, but it still counts). You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @melanie_ararat where she posts things that make it seem like she has a life outside of writing and binge watching shows on Netflix.
UCF Contributor