This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

On April 29th, Aubrey Drake Graham—more commonly known as Drake—dropped his fourth studio album: Views. Originally called “Views from the 6”, “Views” consists of a whopping 20 tracks. The buildup to this album has been nothing but huge and the finished product is one that any Drake fan would love. As one of the biggest albums for the summer, it’s a good idea to get acquainted with the songs on the tracklist. (PS: Drake mentioned he made this album to be listened to in a car, so keep that in mind when listening). 

1.     “Keep the Family Close”: A swoony instrumental kicks off the first song in Views. In his interview with Beats 1, Drake said that the changing of seasons in Toronto were an inspiration. The beginning intro has a female voice saying, “It’s a little chilly out there. How you can stand there is beyond me.” An allusion to winter and also a hint at the album cover, Drake is asked how he can stand to be in the cold at the top (of the CN Tower as well as the rap game). Likewise, it can be said this is alluding to the “cold” people that we come across. Hence, why we keep the family—those that we trust–close.  

2.     “9”: Drake affectionately refers to his hometown of Toronto as the 6. With Drake emerging as one of the top rappers on the charts, he put Toronto on the map and turned the city upside down—so the 6 becomes a 9. 

3.     “U With Me?”: The first line in this song is everything. “On some DMX shit, I group DM my exes.” There are multiple references to text lingo, such as the three dots that appear in iMessage when someone is typing. This also is why the title of the song is written informally as “U” instead of “You”. Reminiscent of past exes, both good times and bad, and the commitment that is made to other priorities, “U With Me?” definitely has listeners feeling all types of ways.

4.     “Feel No Ways”: The beat on this song kicks off the feeling of being nostalgic and happy-sad. Drake sings about how he had to end a past relationship to move on with his career. It made him feel guilty—which is something he’s mentioned in past songs such as “Karaoke” and “Too Much”. He wants to stay and be with his girl, but he feels as though she is holding him back. Keep some tissues on deck—you might break out in tears while dancing.

5.     “Hype”: With a beat that reminds me of “Summer Sixteen” and a message that reminds me of “HYFR”, “Hype” is one of those songs you blast when you’re trying to get hype (obvs). Also, can we talk about the lyrical genius in the line “My enemies wanna be friends with my other enemies. I don’t let it get to me.”

6.     “Weston Road Flows”:  Drake grew up on Weston Road. He’s mentioned in interviews that wasn’t the best place to grow up, but he was able to get out of the area. Drake fans may find this reminiscent of “Look What You’ve Done”, another track from “Take Care” that talks about Drake’s childhood and his coming up. The lyrics on this track go deep and are worth listening to multiple times.

7.     “Redemption”: This song samples Ray J’s “One Wish” and has some of the same feels to it. This song is also very similar to “Marvin’s Room”. It’s a track about exes, old flames, and lost loves. Drake usually feels that he is more invested in a relationship than the other person. He drops the line, “Not havin’ closure, take a lot out of me. This year for Christmas I just want apologies”. Same Drake, same. This is a beautifully done song, but I warn you to control your emotions while enjoying it. 

8.     “With You”: Drake, PartyNextDoor, and Jeremih all together on a track is absolute magic. This is another relationship song that grapples with feelings, commitments, and careers. The beat is amazing and includes a line for a great drink recipe: vodka and emotions.

9.     “Faithful”: The hook of this song is centered around a woman who is busy working on her career and herself. She doesn’t want to be involved in a relationship at this time, especially not with Drake, someone she finds to be a player. He claims he won’t have affairs, he’s faithful, and he’ll wait for her to sort through all her own personal affairs. 

10.      “Still Here”: This track boasts about the rise Drake has made and all of the accomplishments in his life. He goes on to say that he attained all this on his own and makes sure the ones close to him are also doing well. He explains that there’s “nothing mutual about [his] funds”, which makes my heart soar with happiness due to the economics themed wordplay.

11.     “Controlla”: Feelsy Drake is back at it again, this time full on falling hard for his lady. This is about being in a relationship and putting your all into it, as he so dramatically puts: “I think I’d lie for you, I think I’d die for you.”

12.     “One Dance”: This song was released early on April 5th, and I’m soooooo glad it was. “One Dance” is probably going to be the summer dance hit of the year (and probably one of those golden throwbacks that everyone loves to hear in the future). Featuring WizKid and Kyla, “One Dance” is a lighthearted track that is extremely danceable, and fun to listen to.

13.     “Grammys”: Drake pairs up with Future again after “What A Time To Be Alive”. Drake had been nominated time after time for a Grammy, and finally took one home in 2013 for “Take Care”. Throwing it back to “Paris Morton Music”, Drake had a line that said “I never threw away that paper with my Grammy speech”. He was disheartened that he didn’t win a Grammy, but he knew that he would one day. He goes on to boast “top 5, top 5, top 5”, saying that he’s one of the top 5 rappers in the game.

14.     “Child’s Play”: This track has a fun, danceable vibe. The lyrics are fun to sing to and no one will know if you’re enjoying the song or subtly dissing them with lines like “You wildin’, you super childish”. He also gives a shoutout to Cheesecake Factory and greatly inspires me to fight with a loved one there. Listen to the song, you’ll understand the reference.

15.     “Pop Style”: Released at the same time as “One Dance” and originally featuring Jay Z and Kanye, Drake created a new version with only himself. The song is about his lavish lifestyle, and how he’s able to ball on the regular. The beginning line “Dropped outta school now we dumb rich” turns around the assumption that someone who dropped out of school is unintelligent—or dumb—into saying the only type of dumb he is, is dumb rich. Drake dropped out of school and was able to make it to where he is today without an education (although he went back to school and graduated on October 17th, 2012).

16.     “Too Good”: Drake and Rihanna make nothing but magic together. Each of their collaborations have centered around relationships with this one telling the story of a couple who feels that the other person in the relationship is undeserving of their love. Each person claims that they are too good to the other. This bittersweet relationship begins to sour, but we can’t help but dance along to the beat and appreciate the honest lyrics and mixed emotions. 

17.     “Summer’s Over Interlude”: This track is performed by Majid Al Maskati—the same person who did the vocals for “Hold On, We’re Going Home”. Going with the theme of Toronto’s seasons, this track symbolizes the end of summer. The beat is smooth and the song is nothing but beautiful. Listen to the lyrics, “Already told you, I don’t feel the same”–an abrupt end to a summer fling, or any romance that was blooming between two individuals. It shows that even though the summers in Toronto are gorgeous, the winters can be just as cold as those words are. 

18.     “Fire&Desire”: This track is very smooth, soulful, and R&B inspired. Similar to “Tuscan Leather”—could be the beat or the voices in the back—“Fire&Desire” spins the story between Drake and an old love. He sings about how he dedicates everything to her, as said in the beginning and ending of the song. This woman is with another man, which leads people to think certain lines in this song may be about Nicki Minaj, who Drake used to have a very flirtatious friendship with. Drake and Nicki no longer speak due to beef between Drake and Meek Mill. The song is extremely smooth and lovely to listen to.

19.     “Views”: I had huge expectations for the song that the album was named after. It reminds me a lot of “The Ride”, the outro track in “Take Care”. The track starts off sampling “The Question Is”, a song about God. Drake is referred to as the 6God and is saying that he’ll never leave his city or his fans. Filled with witty one-liners and fire verses, this track did not disappoint. An amazing way to end the album, “Views” wraps up where he came from and where he’s heading.  

20.     “Hotline Bling”: Technically a bonus track, “Hotline Bling” was released in 2015 and is nothing less than a dramatic song to belt out when you’re all up in your feelings. The song is about an ex, specifically Nebby, who Drake dated in 2009. When he started gaining fame, the relationship ended and Drake was filled with the awful feeling of regret and wondering if his ex was spending time with someone else (claiming “you don’t need no one else). The song is very nostalgic of Drake before he became famous and features him openly missing something good that he used to have. Careers sacrifice a lot, and he is reminiscent on the loves that he has lost due to the pursuit of his dreams. 

All in all, Drake’s fourth studio album exceeded expectations. He has something on here for everyone to enjoy—whether you’re a hardcore Drake fan, or just getting into his music. 

Hey everyone! My name is Chandni and I first came to Davis as a transfer student. Now that I'm in my final year, I've learned a lot about campus life in a really short amount of time. I'm an economics and psychology major and I love animals! I love meeting new people, so if you ever see me around, come over and say hi! :)
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!