Your Guide to Making New Friends Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Many incoming freshmen graduate with the same people they met in elementary and/or middle school. It’s been awhile since these new additions to campus had to make a whole new group of friends.  Incoming freshmen are often told that college is where they will make life-long friends, yet many might have forgotten exactly how to make new friends at a new school. But don’t you worry- here at Her Campus, we are more than happy to suggest a few tips and tricks to get you back on your feet.

1. Don’t be Shy!An overwhelming situation like moving away from home to a completely unknown area can make it hard to keep your cool. Take a moment to remember that you’re not the only one who has to start over. Most, if not all, freshmen want to make new friends just as badly as you do. So there’s no reason to freak out or shy away! Making friends won’t be too difficult when so many of your fellow classmates are entering their college experience with an open mind. Be confident and approach friendly faces with a positive attitude. Someone who is a stranger now, may just end up being your best friend a few weeks down the road, so take a chance and strike up a conversation! 2. Leaving Your Dorm Door Open Isn’t Exactly EnoughMagazines with college audiences often suggest that freshmen should leave their dorm door open to act as an invitation for people to come in. As I entered my freshman year, I imagined people coming in and out of my room constantly. In reality, there were only a few peering heads here and there that would pop into my dorm without a word and walk away, not wanting to intrude.  What you need to understand is that although your door may be open, most people feel uncomfortable entering  a complete stranger’s room. Take initiative and introduce yourself to your floormates during the first week of school (trust me, it’s awkward when you run into someone half way through the year and realize they had been your floormate this whole time and you didn’t know).  Ask them to get lunch, or to hit up a party, or to accompany you to a campus activity during welcome week. Before floormates can come in and out of your room comfortably, they need to get to know you first!

3. Be YourselfThis is probably one of the most cliche pieces of advice out there, but that doesn’t make it any less true.. Sure you can make friends when you’re trying to act like someone you’re not, but are you making the right friends? By embracing your character, you are bound to attract people who are just like yourself. The friendships you create when you are being true to yourself end up being the friendships that you feel the most comfortable and confident in; they’re the friendships that last a lifetime. The people you feel the need to impress aren’t worth it. The right people who belong in your life will accept you for who you are. 4. Get InvolvedWhether it’s by going Greek, joining a club, or getting an on-campus job… just make sure you get involved! Although you may make friends with the people in your classes or in your dorm building, making friends who have the same interests as you is the most important. What better way to finding someone who’s into the same things as you than joining a club that pertains to your interests? Not only will getting involved help you open doors to meeting new people, but it will also set a foundation of similarities that the two of you can build upon during the first stages of your friendship.

Saba is a third year student at University of California, Davis where she is majoring in Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior. She is the former Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent at her school's branch of Her Campus, where she served from March 2016 to March 2017. She hopes to attain an MD one day, specialize in ob/gyn and later work on public health policies, especially those regarding women's health and reproductive rights.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!