You Need to Watch Netflix’s “Making a Murderer”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I am a self-confessed true-crime junkie. I have watched an absurd amount of episodes of Dateline, 24 Hours, and Law & Order. I love all of the twists and turns, and trying to correctly guess the outcome of the story. However, “Making a Murderer” completely blows away anything I have watched before.

The ten-part documentary, released for instant streaming on Netflix in December, was filmed for over ten years and centers around Steven Avery of Manitowoc County, Wisconsin. Avery was wrongfully imprisoned for eighteen years for sexual assault and attempted murder. He was later exonerated for the crime after new forensic testing was developed, but the story doesn’t end there. The rest of the series chronicles the absolutely insane story of Avery being charged again, this time with the murder of a young automobile photographer.

Viewers get to watch the entire trial, including outrageous testimonies from detectives, Avery’s family members, and more. The story has many layers and just gets more bizarre as you watch. Most importantly, the viewer (and jury) are left to decide for themselves if they believe Avery actually committed the murder, or if the bitter Manitowoc County Sheriff’s Department framed him for it after Avery sued them for wrongful conviction. 

It is impossible not to sit and binge watch the entire thing in a day or two. Since its release last month, it has blown up with thousands of tweets, posts, and articles. People on comment threads and Reddit are working tirelessly to come up with theories and to find the truth. Everyone has a different idea on what actually happened and who is really guilty.

This suspenseful, brilliantly edited story will send chills down your spine, and will serve as the perfect late night show this quarter. Enjoy!

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!