This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There are 7.6 billion people on this planet. And you are one of them. 

There are 7.6 billion people on this planet. Together, they make one world. 

You, reading this, right here – you are part of this world. 

Without you, the world is incomplete. You contribute to that essential 1/7.6 billion that makes it 7.6 billion. 

You matter. 

You are an incredible human. There has never been someone exactly like you, and there will never be another exactly like you. 

Sun shining from behind clouds
Pixabay
No one else has your experiences. No one else has your talents, your abilities. No one else has ever seen the world through your eyes. 

You are unique in every single way imaginable. You bring key traits and ideas and characteristics to your family, your community, and to this world. 

This is a reminder of your importance and value. It is easy to get swept up in everything going on in the world around us. It is easy to feel overwhelmed and stressed and confused. You may feel unimportant, insignificant, or even worthless. 

The time I felt the least significant was when I was taking an Astronomy class back in the fall. We learned about the stars and planets, the galaxies and beyond the galaxies. I remember asking myself, “What’s the point? What does it all mean? Why does it matter?”

Stars in Colorado
Photo by Manouchehr Hejazi from Unsplash

Then I asked myself, “Do I matter?” I’m this tiny little human, on this tiny little planet, in this tiny solar system, in a vast sea of other planets and solar systems and stars and galaxies. Any book I write, any work I create, any action I take – how does it have any meaning?

And then I zoom back to Earth. Where I remember I’m sitting at my desk. My notebook is in my lap. My pen is in my hand. 

I’m home. And I belong. 

I belong on this planet. I belong in this world. The universe is a big place. But I am still a part of it, and I intend to hold this part to the very best of my abilities. 

I don’t know if there’s a purpose for life. I don’t know what it all means. But I know that we’re all here. I know that we’re all special, we’re all unique, and we’re all good at different things. That has to mean something. 

Amanda is a junior studying Communications and Psychology at UC Davis. She is currently spending her time in quarantine baking, running, doing lots of yoga, and chasing after her basset hound puppy. Amanda plans to attend law school after she graduates, hopefully somewhere with lots of trees :)
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!