Yeah, Hallmark Christmas Movies Are Predictable but I Love Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The most wonderful time of the year is finally just around the corner! Personally, this time of year happens to be one of my favorites, the Christmas cheer is in the air, the lights are up outside, and the halls are decked. While there are so many fun things to appreciate this time of year, one of my favorites are all of the Christmas movies that air twenty-four-seven on the Hallmark Channel. Over the years I feel as if these movies have become a staple in many households around the holiday season. Yes, I know what you’re thinking – “but all of those movies are the same and always so predictable!” Well yes, that is true and some people really can not stand watching them, but that doesn’t stop me from loving them. 

Bettina Strauss/Netflix
Have you ever seen a Hallmark Christmas Movie that ends tragically? The answer is NO! One of the top reasons why I love them so much is because you can always count on them for a happy ending. There is enough negativity and unhappy endings in the real world, so why not escape into the world of Hallmark Christmas Movies where you can have faith in knowing that you won’t be crying at the end of it as the credits roll. 

Another reason that I love these movies so much is because the small towns that these movies often take place in depict the ideal winter wonderland: snow falling softly and warm hot chocolate held in the comfort of shoppers hands as they take on the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping. It always has towns where everyone knows everyone and is home to the most perfect love story. The plotline typically revolves around two people who may or may not be looking for love in their beloved hometown after being away for whatever reason for so long. Of course, these two people cross paths and can’t help but fall in love. They date around their picturesque town visiting the Christmas carnival or watching the children’s choir perform traditional Christmas hymns at the local church, ultimately riding off into the sunset together. 

Netflix
These movies have a special way of capturing the feelings that so many of us have about Christmas and the holiday season as a whole. They instill hope in us, make us happy and forget about whatever it is we are dealing with in our own lives at the time. This year especially, I think is the perfect year to take some time to indulge in and escape into the Hallmark world. A Hallmark movie can be enjoyed by people of all ages and is the perfect way to top off a night spent decorating the Christmas tree. So, during this Christmas season, consider adding some of these beloved Hallmark Christmas Movies to your watch list; I can pretty much promise you that they will add a little more light to this special season!

Ashley is a senior at the University of California, Davis. She is studying Communication and getting her minor in English with the hopes of one day having a successful career in one of the two fields. Ashley enjoys spending time with her family and exercising in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!