World Series Report: Royals vs. Mets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Game 1:

The Major League Baseball World Series got off to a wild start Tuesday night in Kansas City. The Royals outlasted the New York Mets in 14 innings, making it the longest game in World Series history. Drama off the field also made it one of the wackiest and most bizarre starts to the Fall Classic. The game started off with a home run inside the park, courtesy of Kansas City shortstop Alcides Escobar. Then in the fourth inning, the game was momentarily delayed after the Fox Sports broadcast suddenly lost power. Oddly enough, broadcast coverage in Kansas City was also interrupted due to technical difficulties. Fans flocked to social media to vent and make jokes, prompting Fox and Google representatives to issue apologies. Technology in sports has come a long way in the past few years, providing things like instant replay and an enhanced stadium experience for fans. However, as Mets pitcher Matt Harvey would tell you while standing on the mound in the 4th inning with no one to pitch to, it can also cause “major league” problems. 

Game 2:

A very different story unfolded Wednesday night. Former Reds ace Johnny Cueto dominated on the mound, throwing an astounding two-hitter to help the Royals take Game 2 with a score of 7-1. David Wright’s hitting struggles continued, as he went 0 for 3 in the batter’s box. “We’ve got to pick it up offensively,” Mets manager Terry Collins stated post-game. Their pitching wasn’t as sharp as it should have been, either. Starting pitcher Jacob deGrom had a record low two strikeouts, and was in deep trouble in the fifth inning as the Royals rallied their way to another victory. Now one step closer to elimination, the Mets must take the energy from their home field to pick up their offense and their spirits.

Will the Royals ride this lead to the finish and claim their crown? Or will we see a glimpse of the old “Miracle Mets” dig themselves out of this 0-2 hole, and finally stand on top of the baseball world again?

The series moves to Citi Field in New York with Game 3 on Friday at 5 PM EST. 

Bridget is a second year student at UC Davis with a passion for fashion and writing. She is involved in the Student Fashion Association and hopes that her love for fashion shows through her blog and #OOTD posts. :) She is also a diehard San Francisco Giants fan and enjoys watching baseball, basketball, and football in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!