Why You Should Start Shopping at Thrift Stores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Up until a couple of years ago, I bought everything at retail stores. My parents wondered why I would even consider buying used items when I could buy new things at the store. Then, I went to a thrift store with my friend for the first time, and my perception of thrift stores completely changed. Here’s a couple of reasons you should check out your local thrift store or Goodwill:

1. You can find one of a kind items.

While thrifting, I’ve found a ton of old records and cassette tapes that I probably couldn’t find anywhere else (shout out to the Goodwill for that 25 cent Spice Girls cassette). You’re also more likely to find vintage pieces that would cost more at other vintage stores, like a windbreaker straight out of the 80s. Half the fun of thrifting is not knowing what you’re going to find, and then ending up with something cool or unique.

2. You can find clothes for cheaper prices.

At thrift stores, like Crossroads in Berkeley or San Francisco, I’ve found Zara sweaters for $10 and Teva Sandals for $15. You’re more likely to get a better deal at a thrift store than at a retail store—you’re basically getting the same quality for a smaller quantity of cash!

3. You can refurbish furniture or repurpose items.

I’ve bought some old picture frames from the Goodwill and painted the glass with chalk paint to make my own cute chalkboard for under $10. If you’re into DIY projects, the thrift store is a great place to find items to refurbish or repurpose at a good price.

4. You’ll be more eco-friendly

Instead of the clothes or miscellaneous items ending up in landfills, you’ll be giving the things you buy from the thrift store a new home. Being friendly to the environment is definitely an added bonus of thrifting. 

Alida Araica attended UC Davis and graduated with a BA in English and minors in communication and technology management. Alida is passionate about 90's rom-coms, skin-care, iced coffee and running.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!