jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Rainy Days Are the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There are many reasons to hate the rain. I understand that. It’s inconvenient, it sucks to drive in, the coldness can make you sick, the overcast sky can negatively affect your mood, the list goes on. Basically, it takes away the sun and the warmth, things normally associated with happiness. But why couldn’t rain be associated with happiness as well?

Here’s a list of reasons why rainy days are amazing.

1. Puddles! 

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of getting my clothes wet while I’m wearing them, but I know a good number of people who love splashing around outside and making a mess. It’s the smallest things like splashing in puddles that allow you to forget stressful adult life for a second and be a carefree kid again.

2. It hydrates the plants! 

There’s a hill across the street from my house back home that’s normally brown year-round. But after a couple days of rain, it’s as green as the hill in the Windows XP background. Not only is it absolutely stunning, but the green means that the plants are getting hydrated and healthy. After a couple months of dry weather, that rain is needed now more than ever.

3. You can now wear your cute, cozy clothes. 

You know that cute fuzzy sweater you’ve been wanting to wear? Or that gorgeous, long black pea coat? Or those adorable red rain boats?! Well now that’s it’s cold and rainy outside, you can finally show them off at school and/or work! Or if it’s a weekend, you can stay inside and keep warm in your fuzzy socks, sweat pants, and fluffy sweater. Either way it’s a win-win.

4. Productivity can take place indoors.

Since you’re most likely not to spend a lot of the day outside, you can take this opportunity to do stuff around the house! Not exactly the most fun thing to do, but you’ve got to do it at some point. Just blast your music and vacuum your carpets or organize your shelves.

5. You can take advantage of the rain aesthetics.

C’mon, admit it. You know you’ve been dying to get that cute picture of yourself wearing rainboots, your umbrella open above you, with one foot sticking up like you’re Mary Poppins about to fly away. You know you’ve been dying to get warm in a coffee shop, sipping your creamy latte, book in hand while the rain pours outdoors. Yes, it’s all cliché, but it’s those little things that make life just that much more enjoyable.

6. It’s peaceful!

Being a student, employee, writer, and actress isn’t easy. My week can sometimes get so busy to the point of break down. But after it’s all done, and I can finally plop down onto my bed, watching the raindrops race down my window and hearing the pitter patter on the roof never fail to relax me. Those moments remind me why I do what I do.

I love the rain, just like I love learning, working, writing, and acting. Even if the rain isn’t your thing, just try stopping and listening to it just once, or jump around in it if you dare. It might make you happy too.

Katie is a third year English and Theatre/Dance major. She enjoys writing fiction, performing in musicals, and binge-watching episodes of Doctor Who. With her writing, she hopes to inspire laughter, tears, and everything in between.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!