Why Picnic Day is Better Than Coachella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Like clockwork every April, our social media is flooded with photos of celebrities and others enjoying the Coachella Music Festival. Along with those pictures are advertisements from retailers convincing us that we need to buy literally everything with fringe on it. But in the meantime, we have our very own festival right here in Davis to look forward to: Picnic Day! Ok, maybe Ellie Goulding, G-Eazy, and other favorites won’t be performing, but I’m here to tell you that we aren’t missing out on as much as we think we are. Here are 6 reasons why I think “cow-chella” is the new Coachella:

1. You won’t break bank

Instead of spending hundreds on a Coachella ticket, and hundreds more on the trip, saving that money allows you to buy so many more things that you want for the upcoming spring and summer. Just think about it: Do you know how many pairs of new shoes could be bought from that ticket price? The possibilities are far greater when your bank account is still entact.

2. We have the perfect weather.

Getting a blistering sunburn in the desert surrounded by sweaty, smelly, drunk people? No thank you. It can be a little too hot even for us at Picnic Day, but this year the weather gods have blessed us with perfect weather for the biggest day in Davis. 84 degrees and sunny skies. Not too hot, not too cold.

3. We’re on our own turf.

We know the campus and the town like the back of our hand. It’s familiar, and you can feel proud to show your family and friends around on the biggest event of the year for your college. Aggie Pride!

4. You can still dress like a festival girl and no one will judge you for it.

If you feel like you’re missing out on Coachella fashion, then you can still wear that boho-inspired dress and fringed sandals, and no one will judge you for it. You’re bound to see one other girl that day passing you with the same top you both bought at Forever 21 the week before. And it’s oddly nice to see. Everyone is sort of wearing the same thing, but differently.

To really get you in the spirit the Student Fashion Association will be selling flower crowns at their booth on the quad from 8:30 until they sell out!

5. You can take a nap in the middle of the day in a cozy bed.

It’s been an exhausting day and you know you’ll never make it to the end if you don’t nap NOW. Well, you can. With a quick trip back home, you can get cozy and comfy in your own bed, and rejuvenate to continue the Picnic Day fun in the evening.

7. No celebrities to outshine your cute outfits or Instagram posts.

One reason for this is well, there are no celebrities. But also, you can feel cute and confident and will probably get loads of compliments from your friends on the outfit you put together. You can take group selfie photos without Vanessa Hudgens stealing the spotlight (although, I must say, I am looking forward to seeing her outfits this year).

Ok. Maybe we are missing out on SOME aspects of Coachella, but hey, I think what we’ve got right here is pretty great too. Everyone have a fun and safe Picnic Day 2016!

Bridget is a second year student at UC Davis with a passion for fashion and writing. She is involved in the Student Fashion Association and hopes that her love for fashion shows through her blog and #OOTD posts. :) She is also a diehard San Francisco Giants fan and enjoys watching baseball, basketball, and football in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!