Why Nothing Can Beat My First Music Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There will never be a music festival memory as perfect and pristine as my first. I was a junior in high school, attending the inaugural First City Music Festival in Monterey, California. The headliners were Passion Pit, MGMT, Modest Mouse, and Neko Case; I, like most music-festival goers, only knew six artists on the entire lineup. Regardless, I was still eager to attend something other than the Hannah Montana concert I saw in 5th grade.

The atmosphere of the entire festival was unlike anything I had experienced; I had never been in a place where so many people gathered for the unified purpose of enjoying music, eating great food, and dancing endlessly. I felt a bit young amongst everyone as a 16 year old, but that contributed to the excitement of it all.

By the time Passion Pit’s set came on, I didn’t even care that I had been standing for five hours and was surrounded by hundreds of sweaty bodies. That one single set of Passion Pit was so exhilarating, I was devastated when it was over; however, I made it my mission to experience as many music festivals I could find (and afford) so I could relive that first night.

Since that first festival, I have attended four other music festivals and many single-artist concerts in between. However, despite my exhaustive efforts, none of them have met my expectations in achieving that same joy.

I suspect the reason each festival feels less special compared to the first comes down to the feeling of routine that takes away from the fun of it all. Now that I had already reached the first real peak of excitement that a brand-new experience brings, all of the following festivals just don’t compare to the first.

Each individual music festival has its unique perks that are different from the rest, so attending a variety of festivals and concerts is worth the investment if you can manage it. Unfortunately, I set the expectation so high that I’m left wanting something more by the end of the last set. I even saw Passion Pit a second time, but was let down that even the same songs didn’t conjure up the same excitement I possessed from First City.

To sum it up, I probably won’t get over the expectation I hold for each new festival to match up with the pristine memory of the first; however, I still share incredible moments with all my closest family and friends at every single one I’ve attended since, and will continue in my pursuit to live through the accumulation of experiences… given that festival passes don’t exceed their already absurd prices. 

Elizabeth is a Nutrition in Public Health major and active member of Alpha Chi Omega. She joined HerCampus as a creative outlet amongst all of her science classes. With her remaining 3 years at UC Davis, she hopes to take a selfie with a squirrel, successfully nap in a quad hammock, become a Cal Aggie Camp counselor (✔), study abroad in Japan, and finish all the Aggie Traditions.  You can find her at the CoHo, heaphones blasting a hip-hop playlist to study to, with books and and vanilla latte keeping her company. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!