This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The other day I opened Instagram and started scrolling, per usual. One of the first posts I came across was from a popular news outlet page I follow. This post listed all the states in which reproductive rights are under fire right now (but then again, when are they not). Mortified, I quickly reposted the article to my story and expressed how repulsed I was/am by this. (For reference, in one of the states, Tennessee, lawmakers proposed a bill that would allow biological fathers to stop a pregnant person from getting an abortion). My purpose for reposting was to spread awareness, support pro-choice/reproductive rights/planned parenthood, and, yes, express my opinion on the topic. Someone I know “slid up” on my story and not only kindly voiced his own opinion towards pro-life vs. pro-choice based on his religious background but also suggested that I consider reasons from both perspectives. I had no intention of invalidating anyone’s viewpoint, so I explained myself.

Abortion bans, like the one mentioned above, scare the shit out of me. From a female’s perspective, the possibility that I may not have control over my body and my choices is terrifying. Living in California and having access to birth control and contraceptives, I feel safe having sex knowing that I control my future. Not everyone has this freedom, and I honestly might not either soon. For me, being pro-choice is about allowing every individual to decide what best fits their ideology and life. Some are against abortion, some agree with abortion. In the end, it is a personal CHOICE.

the "future is female" sign
Photo by Lindsey LaMont from Unsplash
It is sad to think about how the time, effort, and money put into abortion bans could be used to positively impact women. Expanding planned parenthood, increasing resources for those who decide to continue or discontinue their pregnancies, better foster care services… the options are endless.

I understand how different factors play into one’s opinion on pro-choice vs. pro-life, but I think it is necessary to show up for each other, no matter the circumstance. That is why pro-choice is incredible; it gives women the power to take their bodies, lives, and futures into their own hands (as they should be able to) and make the best judgment. By being pro-choice, I can give my support towards either decision. Reproductive bans eliminate this ability. It is important to keep spreading awareness and supporting pro-choice so that we may respect and stand behind each woman and her choice. That is why I stand pro-choice.

Lauren Wharton is a third year UC Davis student majoring in Animal Sciences. In her free time, she enjoys weightlifting, CrossFit, eating copious amounts of Halo Top, and spending time with her family, friends, and Shiba Inu, Mable.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!