freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why Changing Your Mind About Relationships is Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I used to tell myself that I never wanted a relationship in college. Then I started dating one of my favorite humans my junior year. I told myself then I would never go long-distance. Then he went to study abroad and here I am in a long-distance relationship before I am even graduated. Freshman year me would be dramatically shaking her head at me and asking, “But why though — you fake — , I thought you wanted to experience being single in college?” The simple truth is, I changed my mind. These past three years have taught me that you can’t really plan for things to happen or not happen, which drives the planner in me a little wild. But I have also learned there is a lot of beauty is not having to stick with decisions you made before life happened. Experiencing college can also be about experiencing relationships. More often than not, it is never too late to decide you want or don’t want to be with someone else. 

While I guess I am considered an adult, I am still so young which leaves a lot of time to grow alone, with friends, or with a partner. I am not sure if other people do this, but making yourself promises about your love life doesn’t work. You shouldn’t feel pressured to stay single or stay in a relationship. 

I have seen many friends stay with their partner because they have already been together for a long time and I have seen people, myself included, stay single because they think it could be easier. There are so many articles on relationship advice that tell you what you should feel if you like someone or not, but everyone is so different that it can be hard to follow one set of rules. I am not saying it is okay to play with people’s emotions; there are gentle and kind ways you can let your feelings be known, but you should never let yourself feel trapped by what you thought you wanted before. 

Sasha is a 4th year at UC Davis majoring in American Studies and Communication with a minor in Chicano Studies. She also is on the Davis Club Water Polo team and in her spare time enjoys reading, tagging friends in memes, making friends that have dogs, and making Spotify playlists.