Culture > News

Who to Vote for in the Midterm Elections if You Support Planned Parenthood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Planned Parenthood is not only a nonprofit organization providing family planning services all over the United States, and the world, but it is an organization fighting for womxn’s rights. They are committed to fighting for abortion and birth control access, health equity, justice for sexual assault, voting rights, and more. 

Planned Parenthood has been at the forefront of many conversations in politics recently, regarding its defunding as well as the stripping of abortion rights. While government officials have fought to tear down all that Planned Parenthood stands for, the organization has not stopped providing care and support for all womxn in need. 

For the midterm elections, Planned Parenthood has endorsed various candidates that they feel share their values. If you find that you share some of the same values as Planned Parenthood, I urge you to look into these candidates, as they might be the right candidates for you. 

The following are the federal, state, and local candidates endorsed by Planned Parenthood for Yolo County, California. If you do not live in Yolo County, but want to see who they have endorsed, visit their website here.

Federal:

Dianne Feinstein, Democrat, U.S. Senate, California

State:

Gavin Newsom, Democrat, Gubernatorial, California

Ed Hernandez, Democrat, Lieutenant Governor, California

Alex Padilla, Democrat, Secretary of State, California

Xavier Becerra, Democrat, Attorney General, California

Betty Yee, Democrat, State Controller, California

Fiona Ma, Democrat, State Treasurer, California

Ricardo Lara, Democrat, Insurance Commissioner, California

Local:

Tania Garcia-Cadena, Democrat, City of Woodland City Council, District 3

Leticia Cazares, Democrat, Southwestern Community College Board, Seat 4

Candidates who are NOT endorsed by Planned Parenthood:

Kevin De Leon, California

John Garamendi, California

Charlie Schaupp, California

Jess Barreras, Yolo County

Lucio Rios, Yolo County

Planned Parenthood has spent its life as an organization providing care and support for womxn all over the world. It is time to join them in their fight and make a change. 

Now, get out and vote, vote, vote! Womxn’s rights depend on it!

Hadley is a fourth year at UC Davis, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Professional Writing and Human Rights. She is a mental health advocate and the Vice President of Event Planning for the Pi Beta Phi sorority. She loves to play soccer, paint, and watch The Office. She is planning on pursuing a career in writing and editing, and hopes to work for a magazine after graduating.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!