This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The city of Davis seems to have everything. From great foods to an enticing nightlife, Davis has entertainment, film theaters, family-friendly city events and tons of sports, arts, or other recreational activities. The only component missing from Davis’s landscape are hiking trails.

Sure, there are plenty of beautiful parks, ponds, and walking trails, but the thrill of going up an incline or hiking to a spot and admiring the view below can’t really be felt on a flat, walking trail.

If you’re itching for a hike, to feel the pressure in your ear drums change, or to spend a few hours away from city life, check out these hiking spots nearby. Some are closer and some are a little bit of a drive. So pick which one works the best for you, and head on out there for a little bit of hiking this spring!

1. Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve – Winters, CA

Photo courtesy of Univ of Calif., Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve

The Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve is under UCD jurisdiction and is open to hikers year-round. The trails can be accessed from the Putah Creek Wildlife Area. Head here if you’re looking for a trail with versatile terrain. Some of the trails are rough and steep, while others are flatter and easier to hike.

2. Lagoon Valley Park – Vacaville, CA

Photo courtesy of Visit Vacaville

This trail is definitely on the flatter side, but there are beautiful walks through redwood trees and an expansive pond you can walk beside. It’s also not too far away, so it’s perfect for a half-day trip.

3. Palomarin Trailhead, Point Reyes – Bolinas, CA

Photo courtesy of author, Maria Akhter

This trail is a personal favorite of mine, because it takes you through sun and shade, open valleys and sheltered forests until you finally reach a waterfall. Alamere Falls kisses the ocean and it makes for excellent photos. Point Reyes offers several hikes, so feel free to make multiple trips to find your favorite trail. The hikes are longer here (3-5 miles one-way) and the drive is almost 2 hours from Davis, so this will definitely be an all-day excursion.

4. Lake Tahoe – Tahoe, CA

Photo courtesy of author, Mara Akhter

About 1 ½ to 2 hours away, Tahoe has several beautiful trails and great views of the lake once you’re at the top. My personal favorite is the Emerald Bay trail that has rocky steps and a very mountainous feel. The view of Emerald Bay from the top is priceless.

5. Lake Berryessa – Napa County, CA

Photo courtesy of Lake Berryessa News

A pretty well-known hiking spot in the area is Lake Berryessa. The lake is huge, so some maps might show the distance to it as a lot further than it actually is if you’re driving from Davis. Be sure to find one edge of the lake and GPS to that spot. A popular attraction in the current season is the Glory Hole, a hole in the lake that has an eerie, black hole vibe.

6. Black Hole at Calcutta Falls – Auburn, CA

Photo courtesy of Rick Rockwell

Not terribly far away, this trail offers tons of sub-trails that trace along the American River. Along the way, you’re sure to see waterfalls greeting you as you walk through the 4-mile trail.

Wherever you choose to go, make sure you pack lots of water, sunscreen and a great attitude and you’ll definitely enjoy your hike!

Maria is a fourth year at University of California, Davis where she is double majoring in Economics and Comparative Literature. When she's not studying for her classes or writing up an article, you can find her playing soccer with her friends, working with the UCD School of Education or chowing down on some delicious Thai food with her roommates.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!