jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Where to Go on Picnic Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As an enthusiastic Picnic Day participator (seriously – I’ll be up for a little over 24 hours) I know how exciting and overwhelming this day can be. Here are some of the best spots to be on the day of (in my opinion) but I also advise checking out picnicday.ucdavis.edu to see all the activities being offered.

1. Parade

When: 9:30 am

Where: Grandstands on North Quad Ave across from Wickson Hall

Get up early to see this fantastic parade. It starts with the opening ceremonies and a 20-minute show performed by the Band-Uh. 75 different groups performing and parading through Davis follow this. PRO-TIP- if you want to see the Band-Uh perform their show but want to avoid the intense crowds on the day of, catch their dress rehearsal Friday afternoon same place between 4-6 o’clock.

2. Harry Potter and the “Try” – Physics Tournament

When: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm

Where: Roessler Hall

The Physics Club is putting on some magical demonstrations that are sure to blow your mind!

3.  Battle of the Bands

When: 2:00 pm – 10:00 pm

Where: Mrak Hall Lawn

See multiple marching bands compete in the ever-popular Battle of the Bands. Each school will compete until the last band is standing, but something tells me it will be the Davis Band-Uh… again! PRO-TIP: Intense crowds in the hot afternoon makes for an uncomfortable time, but go later at night and there will be plenty of room to watch all the bands.

4. Materials Magic Show

When: 11:00 am, 12:00 pm, and 1:00 pm

Where: SciLec 123

An awesome magic show that demonstrate the wonders of materials engineering. Plus, a nice cool place to sit and be entertained for a while.

5.  The Cool Science of Ice Cream

When: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm

Where: Robert Mondavi Institute South Building-Courtyard

Yes, it’s cool to learn about how ice cream is made, but also – free ice cream!

6. Davis Dance Revolution

When: 7:30 pm- 11:00 pm

Where: ARC Pavilion

14 different student organizations are going to perform their hearts out in this fun dance competition. Wind your day down with watching some serious talent.

Photos courtesy of picnicday.ucdavis.edu

Alexandra is a sophomore English major at UC Davis. She loves reading and writing, and her favorite things to do consist of playing her clarinet in the Band-Uh and talking about her dog, Bear.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!