What Your Chinese Zodiac Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Every Chinese New Year, a corresponding Chinese Zodiac sign rises to the forefront, setting the tone and expectations for the upcoming year. This year will be the year of the Rabbit, which is predicted to usher in a year focused on relaxation, reflection, and calm that will assist in providing people the energy they need to have a more balanced life. 

But what exactly is the Chinese Zodiac? 

The Chinese Zodiac is based on a 12-year cycle where each year is assigned an animal to represent the new year. Unlike Western horoscopes where your sign is determined by your specific birth date, your Chinese zodiac sign is dictated by your birth year. There are 12 Chinese Zodiac signs which in order are Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Pig. Similar to Western horoscopes, it is widely believed that your Chinese Zodiac sign plays a great role in influencing your personality, love life, future, and how you present yourself to others. 

Without further ado, here are the 12 Chinese Zodiac signs and what each one might mean to you:

Rat: 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, 1996, 2008, 2020

Those with Rat Zodiac signs tend to be frugal, family-oriented, and quick-witted. Rats are also most likely to become successful with their intelligence and likability on account of their charm and optimism. They might also find themselves happy living a peaceful and quiet life. 

Ox: 1973, 1985, 1997, 2009, 2021

Oxes are hardworking, steadfast, goal-oriented, and diligent. Some also argue that Oxes can be stubborn, persistent, and set in their ways due to their animal counterpart. They’re also loyal, reliable, and potentially shy, which may cause them to potentially be sidelined or taken for granted. However, their humbleness and perseverance will inevitably be rewarded. 

Tiger: 1974, 1986, 1998, 2010, 2022

Tigers are passionate, energetic, open-minded, brave, and unafraid to make mistakes. In addition, some may also describe them as risk-takers, impulsive, and a lover of challenges. Some attribute this larger-than-life personality to having a huge ego, so if you’re a Tiger be wary of the energy you are putting out. Tigers are also natural leaders, preferring to be independent, and are respected for their courageous nature. 

Rabbit: 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011, 2023

If you’re a Rabbit, congratulations! This year is your year. Rabbits are usually well-liked, social, even-tempered, and artistic. They’re caring, kind, and protective of their circle of friends and family. Due to their kind nature, they’re also conflict-avoidant and sensitive. However, they’re also hesitant which can potentially cause them not to take chances for new opportunities. 

Dragon: 1940, 1952, 1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, 2012, 2024

Dragons are enthusiastic, strong-willed, independent, and are also considered to be great leaders. This sign is also the most desired by believers in the Chinese Zodiac, with many considering it to be the most lucky sign. However, bear in mind that Dragons can also be considered impatient and arrogant

Snake: 1917, 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, 2001, 2013, 2025

Snakes are mysterious, highly intuitive, and compassionate. They are also witty, humorous, and deep thinkers who are reliant on their instincts. Some also suggest that most Snakes are naturally gifted at art and literature. However, their mysterious aura can sometimes manifest into paranoia and cause them to be overly suspicious of things. 

Horse: 1966, 1978, 1990, 2002, 2014, 2026

Horses are considered to be carefree, wild, open to adventures, and social. They are also warm-hearted, easygoing, and independent. Horses are also quite honest, which can quickly turn into a fault since their frankness and imposing opinions can sometimes put others off. 

Goat: 1967, 1979, 1991, 2003, 2015, 2027

Goats are generous, kind-hearted, loving, and selfless. They are also considered to be artistic, appreciative of art, and creative. Individuals with Goat Zodiac signs value their independence and secretly dislike compromising, preferring to gently persuade others to have their way. 

Monkey: 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004, 2016, 2028

Those with Monkey signs are problem-solvers, charming, witty, and interest-driven. Monkeys also have a natural curiosity and interest in seeking adventure and exciting opportunities. However, they must also take care to keep themselves in check due to their lack of self-control

Rooster: 1969, 1981, 1993, 2005, 2017, 2029

Roosters are perfectionists, resilient, adaptable, resourceful, and practical. Many Roosters are also gifted in the arts and are natural creatives. However, their hardworking nature can cause them to rarely rely on the support of others which causes them to become impatient when working with others. 

Dog: 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004, 2016, 2030

Dogs are faithful, trustworthy, giving, committed, and fiercely loyal to those they care about. They also have an innately strong sense of right and wrong, causing them to rarely break rules. However, those with Dog Zodiac signs also tend to be worriers

Pig: 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007, 2019, 2031

Pigs are kind, non-confrontational, caring, and logical. They fight for and speak up for what they believe in and love to help others. Pigs are also quite forgiving, which can be taken advantage of or seen by others as a sign of naivety. 

I hope that you learned something new about yourself and that you found some of these descriptions entertaining and helpful. Have a happy Chinese New Year! 新年快乐!

Vivian is an English major at UC Davis. In her spare time, she enjoys watching Studio Ghibli movies, attempting new recipes she finds online, and fiercely debating strangers on the validity of pineapples on pizza.