This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

For my last-ever Her Campus article, I want to reflect on what my time at UC Davis has taught me. I would say I had a pretty normal undergraduate experience. I experienced some of my best moments, some of my worst moments, and a whole lot of “what the heck am I doing?” moments. These past four years have been wonderful and awful all at the same time, and I truly would not change it for the world. 

I’ve learned more and grown more than I ever could have imagined, and will certainly be taking a lot of lessons with me as I enter the real world. Here are some that I find to be the most profound.

1. I don’t have to be a “yes” person all the time. 

Everybody constantly tells you that you need to say “yes” to everything in order to have a full college experience, but I simply don’t agree. If I had said “yes” to everything these past four years, I literally would not have been able to graduate, let alone be a happy, healthy person. It’s okay to set boundaries and say “no” to the things you know aren’t in your best interest, as long as you’re still pushing yourself out of your comfort zone once in a while.

2. College is not all about school.

College is so much more than the classes you take and the knowledge you gain. While school is likely your main focus, it shouldn’t completely take over your time and energy. Education is so important as a young adult and young professional, but so is life experience. Learning how to balance life with school is so important, and the relationships and experiences you have outside of the classroom will teach you skills that will carry you throughout your entire life. 

3. Feel deeply, regardless of what the feeling is.

Something I struggled with during undergrad was being present with my feelings, both when I felt upset or sad and when I felt happy or excited. It’s easy to get caught up in the “what’s next?” culture. But when we are constantly looking to the next assignment, next party, next pool day, or whatever, we are missing out on what we have right now. Just giving in to whatever you’re feeling can be scary, but it leaves you with such a full and fruitful college experience. 

4. There will always be good.

Good days, good people, good classes, good books, good food, good weather, etc. The good will come in some way, shape, or form and will make the bad worth it. No rain, no flowers. 

There is so much more that I have learned from my four years at UC Davis, but these are the ones that have been running through my mind recently. I feel so lucky to have had this experience here and while I can’t wait to see where life takes me now, I am absolutely gutted to be leaving. Davis is so very special to me (go here to see more proof) and I cannot believe this is the last article I will be writing for Her Campus at UC Davis. Thank you, UC Davis, for all of the opportunities and memories you gave me. I am forever grateful for this place and the people in it. 

Hadley is a fourth year at UC Davis, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Professional Writing and Human Rights. She is a mental health advocate and the Vice President of Event Planning for the Pi Beta Phi sorority. She loves to play soccer, paint, and watch The Office. She is planning on pursuing a career in writing and editing, and hopes to work for a magazine after graduating.