What UC Davis Students Think About When Studying for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The quarter is wrapping up, but with four days left, our procrastination is at an all time high. The best 10 weeks of the year are on our minds and staying focused on studying is near impossible. So while you hole up in the main reading room pretending to write that essay, take a peek at the some of the great things to look forward to for next quarter!

1.     The Quad

The quad is an excellent indicator of the weather and happiness in Davis. In the spring, looking for a spot to eat your lunch gets increasingly hard when slack liners occupy the trees and sitting in the open space puts you at risk of people playing Frisbee. So when you’re stuck in the main reading room, just glance out to that wondrous patch of grass and dream of spring quarter.  

2.     Tanning at the Rec Pool

The Hot Spot of Davis – quite literally. When the rain finally goes away and the temperatures steadily increase, the Rec Pool becomes as overpopulated as the quad. The Rec Pool becomes a perfect spot for students to cool off after, between, and sometimes during classes. Right now, we are layering up to hide our pasty winter skin from the world, but once the Rec Pool opens, we will start bronzing and spending all our time outside. 

3.     Whole Earth Festival

There is no better way to embrace your inner hippie than spending the weekend buying handmade goods, eating organic food, and celebrating Mother Earth. All on our beloved Quad of course, the weekend brings hundreds of vendors and thousands of visitors. Whole Earth transforms Davis’s campus into a nature loving, waste-free zone of happiness. I’m sure we’d all rather be picking out new handmade jewelry than spending our week in the library.

4.     The Arboretum in the Spring

No matter the weather, the arboretum is always our favorite stop on campus. Whether walking the Redwood Grove or studying in the gardens, this beauty never lets us down. But in the spring, the arboretum is truly something else. Just a stones throw from the edge of campus, it’s a great place to relax between classes and get a little reading done. 

5.     Warm weather

This is a no-brainer, and a common denominator of all the things we love. As Californians, we won’t cope well in the rain and cold. Spring Quarter is the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors until summer hits and we all flee for our air-conditioned homes. We are lucky to live on such a beautiful campus so take advantage of the scenery all around us. Plus, warm weather will keep us outside longer, which means we’ll be enjoying many more of the incredible Davis sunsets we know and love. 

6.     Picnic Day

Last but certainly not least is Picnic Day. The most glorious day for an Aggie feels like the anticipation of Christmas, the all-day rage of the Fourth of July, and the early-evening comatose state of Thanksgiving all rolled up into one. Picnic day is the largest student run event in the nation, and on campus there are events ranging from Battle of the Bands to Doxie Derby Races. But while the family friendly atmosphere is encouraged, waves of students flock off campus and celebrate the day parading around the streets, Coachella-clad and beer-bound. While the root of the event is to showcase the diversity and uniqueness of UC Davis, Picnic Day has long been recognized as an Aggie’s favorite party of the year. 

I am a 22 year old senior who enjoys watching Friends with a glass of wine. Currently in the process of figuring out Adulthood. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!