This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

When I am not quarantined in my parents home during a global pandemic, I live by myself in Davis. No roommates, no pets, just me, myself and I… plus my collection of just over a dozen coffee mugs. I am not much of a coffee drinker. I, maybe, have a cup or two a few times throughout the week but certainly not everyday. So, then why do I have so many coffee mugs? Well to put it quite simply, they make me happy. 

a hand is pouring milk out of a glass bottle into a cup of coffee, which is sitting on a wooden cutting board on a wooden table.
Calum Lewis | Unsplash
Everytime my family and I traveled or explored somewhere new when I was younger, I would most likely choose a coffee mug as my souvenir from that new place that we ventured to. This was the case even at the age of seven or eight when I did not even entertain the idea of ever actually drinking coffee. But with that being said I am so glad that I started collecting fun little mugs so long ago, because when I open the cabinet door in my kitchen that holds them, a smile grows on my face. 

woman holding coffee cup saying boss lady
Pexels / Alina Vilchenko

I have a Princess Belle mug from a trip to Disneyland years ago. I have about five San Francisco mugs because I am obsessed with the city. One from a trip to Seattle for a cousin’s wedding and a few that my dad has picked up for me on his business trips around the country, among other random ones that I have found as I have gone through life so far. 

Sure, there is absolutely no reason why I need to have all of these mugs but it allows me to choose a new one every time I open that cabinet. Whether I use one of my mugs for a cup of coffee with my french vanilla creamer in the morning, or for my ice cream sundae with Reese’s and hot fudge on top on a random Wednesday night, when I see these mugs, fond memories often come floating back to me – of a special time or place with someone who means a lot to me. 

To be honest, I know that this is a very silly topic to write about, but in trying times like those we are experiencing today, I thought I would write about something light and frankly ridiculous. Also, I think it is safe to say that when it comes time for me to get married, I certainly will not need to put any coffee mugs on my wedding registry. 

Ashley is a senior at the University of California, Davis. She is studying Communication and getting her minor in English with the hopes of one day having a successful career in one of the two fields. Ashley enjoys spending time with her family and exercising in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!