jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What It’s Like When You’re In Love with a C-List Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Loving a celebrity is always complex. Shockingly, most movies and shows lied when they told us that our favorite musician or actor would magically show up in our tiny hometown and spot us out of the crowd of thousands, begging for our hand in holy matrimony. However, life becomes even more confusing when you fall deeply in love with a celebrity that others might have never even heard of. Step aside, Chris Pratt and Ryan Gosling lovers, it’s time to talk about being in love with demi-celebs like Bo Burnham and Ben Platt.

Firstly, it is so difficult to swoon over someone to your chums when no one knows who they are. I’m so used to walking into a room and being like, “Hey, ladies, Bo released a new special!” and having everyone be like “Who are you? This is private property.” However, after that they usually say, “Who is Bo Burnham? Is he your boyfriend? No? Then why do we care?”

Secondly, I am quick to get mildly offended by the fact that they don’t follow me back on Twitter or respond to me if I comment on something. In my eyes, they’re just a buddy with a few hundred thousand more dollars than me, so they should have plenty of time to chat. To make it worse, I’ll get the occasional favorite/like which just throws me into a deeper pit of confusion. What are we? Engaged? Married?

Thirdly, you have to deal with the ever-lingering idea that it is somehow plausible for you to end up together. How many nights have I gone to sleep thinking, “Ugh, at least I’m one day closer to Ben Platt treating me right”? SEVERAL. The thing is, I’ll never accept that it’s not possible for me to marry my C-List loves because no one that I know has any idea who they are, so that must mean that literally no one else in existence does either. So there I sit, waiting to get hitched when my prince charming has walked like three red carpets when I’ve slept on like three carpets.

Ultimately, it’s like being stuck in limbo when you love a C-Lister, but it’s beautiful, too. I love being able to state that I’ve seen my absolute favorite celebrities perform on multiple occasions for a fraction of the price that other people see their idols for, but I’m still mad that none of my loves have proposed yet. Hop to it!

All gifs courtesy of giphy. None of the images used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis. Thumbnail courtesy of Pexels.

Last named pronounced like "zucchini," a common summertime squash. University of California, Davis. English major and literature fiend. Proud member of Delta Delta Delta. Theatre kid. Standup comedienne.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!