What It’s Really like Having a Birthday During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Having a birthday around the holiday season may sound like the best time of the year to have a birthday. Everyone is in the holiday spirit and willing to put their differences aside to enjoy time together. Best of all, there’s no school for most of us. Celebrations are non-stop, and it all sounds too good to be true.

But the holiday season isn’t always all that merry. Let me tell you why it’s actually one of the worst times to have a birthday, despite all of the goodness that is going around.

And before you ask, no, we who have birthdays during the holidays do not get double the presents or double the celebrations. At least many of us don’t.  

1. Hearing Christmas music is a daily reminder of how old we’re getting.

As soon as Halloween is over, everyone is already prepared to blast their Christmas favorites. Nothing wrong with that, but as soon as those tunes hit radio stations after their annual slumber, we get a daily reminder of how soon our birthdays are approaching. Do we constantly have to be reminded of how old we are getting?

2. With the busy-ness of the holidays, people tend to forget your birthday…and let’s face it, everyone is out of town.

As the holidays are meant to be with the ones that you care for the most, it’s not a surprise that many of our friends or even some family members decide to go out of town and take a special end of the year trip or travel to go see others. Unfortunately, that means that they won’t be around for your birthday…*sigh*

3. Family will insist on staying in for your birthday because just about every restaurant will be insanely crowded.  

After days of partying before or after the Christmas holiday (and holidays in between of course), everyone is exhausted of being out and about. This means that of course, our families will not want to go out for our birthdays. In addition, no one wants to continue spending after the holidays. So of course it just makes more sense to celebrate at home.

4. There is one perk however – you can always count on having that day off from work or school.

Those of us who have our birthdays during the holiday season will agree that it is an advantage having the day off just to spend with those we care about every year. It’s an extra holiday to us and we must say, we can’t complain about it – just don’t overdo it with the holiday drinks or music, please.

Cover image source: Stocksnap

Dianna is a fourth year English Major and is minoring in Education at the University of California, Davis. She enjoys going out for runs and being outdoors when the weather permits. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!