This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Entering my fourth year of college evokes conflicting emotions of excitement and inexplicable sadness. Inching closer to graduating feels like a massive feat, but I don’t feel ready to leave my second home. While reminiscing about college is typically appropriate near the end of the year, my best memories of Davis come from fall: the fresh start, crisp weather, and the holiday season. Here are the things I’m going to miss most about my experience as a UCD student.

The Close Proximity

Attending university in a small town has its pros and cons. While Davis is no big city for endless exploration, everything you might need is only a few miles apart. A metropolis like San Francisco might require hours of commute, but Davis’ short distances between schools, shops, and restaurants allows for more productivity and less time traveling. More importantly, it means everyone lives nearby, making it easier to meet up with friends or study groups during the academic year.  

Source: Pexels

My Go-To Cafés and Restaurants

Anyone living in Davis has their go-to study or hang out spot, whether it’s a café downtown or at the UC Davis Arboretum. My personal favorite spot for virtually everything is Mishka’s Café. It’s my definition of the “perfect coffee house” where I can study, read, or catch up with friends. After leaving Davis, I know I’ll want to crawl back just for a cup of coffee at Mishka’s in my favorite nook.

Source: Pexels

Community Events

Davis’ love for community is expressed through the countless events hosted by its local businesses and organizations. From the farmers market to the arts and music events, there’s always something to do. My best memories of Davis are from attending campus and community events with close friends. I’ll never forget seeing the Davis Holiday Tree Lighting in my freshman year or the live music on the weekends.

Source: Pexels

Riding My Bike

My bike is unquestionably my most prized possession. It’s great to take advantage of the fully implemented bike system and invest in something that will take you anywhere you want. Biking is not only my favorite method of transportation; it also serves as an escape during stressful times or a way to bond with friends. Being from Los Angeles, I know this might be the last time I’ll be able to freely bike around anywhere at anytime.

Source: Pexels

Going to School

Despite the several mornings I grudgingly dragged myself to my class, I’m going to miss learning in an academic environment full of intellectual people. Currently unsure of my future plans like many college seniors, the thought of this potentially being my last year in school is bittersweet to say the least. Finishing school is a relief, but I know I’d turn back and do it all over again.

Source: Pexels

Cover Photo Source: MyUCDavis

Becky is currently a third year Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies and Communication double major with a minor in UWP.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!