Anna Schultz-Girl With Books And Backpack
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

What I Learned From My First Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

College is an Adjustment

Like any other major life transitions, the traditional switch from being a high school senior to suddenly being a freshman in college happens so suddenly and takes you by surprise. Things are done differently at universities, but in my case, I really did enjoy the shift to a much larger community and all of the ins and outs that came with it. Still, I wished that I put less pressure on myself at the beginning, took it all a bit slower, and trusted in the process. Here’s what I’ve learned from all my experiences as a college freshman: 

When Registering for Classes, Choose Some That Genuinely Interest You

The entire course registration process can feel overwhelming at first (I know it did for me in the first two quarters, at least). But it’s important in this process to remember to take classes outside of your major requirements, to experiment with different topics early on. I started college as undeclared in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES) and ended up double-majoring in Communication and Art History in the College of Letters and Science. The point here is that whether you think you know what you want to study, or you really have no idea what you want to study, you’ll never be sure unless you try out different things. To save yourself from going down one path only to realize you should have been studying something different all along, really familiarize yourself with the different resources UC Davis has to offer. The UC Davis General Course Catalog, for example, offers a list of all majors and minors by subject code and within those, all possible courses offered and/or required. Simply spending some quality time scanning through this list can quickly spark some interest! Once you know your general direction, you’ll also have the advantage of taking classes outside of your major that still interest you but also simultaneously work to support the degree you’re seeking.

person wearing gray taking notes in meeting
Photo by Anna Earl from Unsplash

Speak to Your Advisors Often

The importance of speaking to advisors is something I really can’t stress enough. At the beginnings of quarters, advisors typically offer orientation meetings for incoming (first year or transfer) students, giving you the lay of the land and providing you with many vital resources to succeed within your major. I’d also recommend scheduling one-on-one appointments with an advisor periodically throughout your first year (something I didn’t do and really wish I had!) because they can help you create an academic plan, point you in the direction of some specific classes that might interest you, suggest other departments, or even just listen to and answer your questions. Advisors are always there to help, they’re good at it, and they like doing it!

Pexels

Get Involved With Student-Run Organizations on Campus

During my time as a freshman, I was so focused on finding my major that it became my sole priority, and didn’t leave me much time to get involved with on-campus clubs. I only started joining student-run organizations in my sophomore year, and it was then that I truly realized how much I was missing. Clubs help you build community and connect with students that share your interests. They give you an opportunity to network and make friends outside of your classes, and oftentimes your involvement in a specific club can even help you in finding your direction and narrow down your major/minor search. Once I started joining clubs and organizations, it was like the puzzle piece I was missing all along had finally fallen into place. I genuinely believe the sooner you look into joining clubs, the better! This is especially true in the summer before starting classes, or at the very beginning of Fall Quarter, since this is the time during which most clubs begin their new club-officer recruitment process.

Four Years Go by Really Fast

Most of you experienced this in high school, and it’s exactly the same in college. I hope this small list could provide you with some guidance or even just give you a different perspective on your own experiences. In essence, with your limited time in college, the key is to take it head-on and have fun while you’re at it.

Chantal is a junior at UC Davis, where she is pursuing a BA in Communication and Art History. She is half-German and spends most of her breaks in Hamburg, Germany, her second home. Along with writing, her passions include photography, travel, and sustainability. In her free time you'll find her training for a marathon or trying out a new vegan recipe.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!