What Do You Want to Do After College?

The question “What do you want to do after college?” is enough to fill many students with dread, but the question is made even worse when you simply do not have an answer. It can be frustrating, confusing, and honestly quite frightening to have no idea what you want to do in the future. I am surrounded by people who seem so sure of themselves, with plans to go to medical school or law school. It’s scary to see people who seem to have their lives planned out while I still have no idea what I want to do.

I’ve taken random classes every quarter to try to figure out a path for myself, but I’ve only succeeded in ruling things out instead of finding a clear route for the future. I can’t decide whether I want to go into law school or get a Master’s degree in literature, whether I want to become a journalist or a professor. I have even considered going into pharmacy or astronomy, but those didn’t feel right to me either. This scares me, because sometimes it feels like nothing is right for me.

I am slowly learning that, instead of being overwhelmed and anxious by the wide range of options I have available to me, I should feel comforted and grateful that I have so many choices. I have to constantly remind myself that I’m only in my first year, it makes no sense for me to expect to have my life figured out. Whether you’re a first year like me or a fourth year heading on to the next chapter of your life, what you decide to do now can always change. You’re not obligated to stay in whatever you chose as a teenager. Nothing is permanent and you can always change your mind.

You’ll make the right decision. 

*Gifs all brought to you by http://giphy.com 

Ravina is a second year Comparative Literature major at UC Davis. When not studying, she enjoys watching Brooklyn Nine Nine and rereading the Harry Potter series.