This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I am disgusted. My heart hurts. As a straight white woman, I cannot begin to imagine or understand (nor will I ever be able to fully understand) the pain and suffering endured by all people of color, but I will respect, support, and fight for them to the best of my ability. To my family and friends of color and to all people of color I am truly sorry. The racism that is still present in our world can in no way be justified, Black Lives Matter, and we need change.

I cannot wrap my head around why some people feel the need to spew hate onto others. Everybody deserves equal freedom, respect, representation, and treatment.

Protester holding sign that says \"stop killing black people\"
Photo by Clay Banks from Unsplash
I myself can say that I still have so much to learn, and that we cannot rely solely on what we read in history books because, unfortunately, history is repeating itself. White people especially need to educate themselves on what it means to be anti-racist and not condone hate of any kind. It is our responsibility to become loving and compassionate individuals. In order for change to occur all people need to act. Sure, it is easy to stand off to the side and think: “Oh I am sure someone else is out there fighting,” but in times like these we have to use our voices, have those difficult conversations, and come together as one to create a better world.

sign saying fight today for a better tomorrow
Markus Spiske / Pexels
It is wrong that I feel safe when I see a police officer nearby, yet others who do not look like me find themselves fearing for their lives and are afraid to make the slightest move. Systematic racism has been a part of the criminal justice system and so many other parts of society for far too long, and the thoughts and feelings of people of color are valid and need to be heard.

Find some way to get involved in this movement, and show your love and support to the people who need it most right now. I started with signing a few petitions and informing my immediate family of ways to help out, but I know that it is not enough, and am looking for more ways to get involved. Do your research, become well informed, and join the fight in creating a safe and equal world. When you see or hear something wrong, do not hesitate to speak up.

Please, be kind and love one another.

Ashley is a senior at the University of California, Davis. She is studying Communication and getting her minor in English with the hopes of one day having a successful career in one of the two fields. Ashley enjoys spending time with her family and exercising in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!