Ways to Spruce Up Your Apartment or Dorm Room for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Finals Week is officially upon us. The weather is dreary, everyone is sleep deprived, and your place is most likely a mess.  That shouldn’t prevent you from wanting to add some holiday cheer to the most stressful time of the year before the holidays.  And since you won’t be seeing your housemates for a good three weeks, what better way to show that you appreciate them than by making some holiday decorations and brightening up the atmosphere? It’s a surefire way to go into your finals feeling more positive and a great motivation to get grinding so that you can relax sooner.

1) Don’t have the cash or space to get a tree? Get crafty!

Grab some construction paper and snip away! Take down that tapestry you always have on the wall and with some tape and some creative paper usage, tack up a 2D Christmas tree! It’ll feel homier and bring your housemates back to their childhood days in kindergarten. Also, don’t feel limited to just construction paper. Grab some twigs from outside and make a minimalist Christmas tree that is both chic and eco-friendly. Or even try Polaroids! Pinterest is your friend and at your disposal.

2) Make a versatile wreath that won’t dry up!

Why buy a pine needle wreath and risk getting poked when you can make your own in a matter of minutes? Get some clothespins, paint them green, cut out a cardboard “O,” and grab some ribbon and voila! A makeshift wreath that you can also clip important reminders and pictures on. After the holidays, feel free to repaint those clothespins and it’ll make an adorable piece of home décor. 

3) Buy some holiday candy and spread the sweetness!

A personal favorite, the candy cane Hershey kisses are available in most convenience stores and grocery stores, so pick some up and scatter them on your countertops.  They’ll be a great pick-me-up for your housemate running out the door or a small treat after a long study sesh.  No one likes chocolate?  Candy canes are also a nice holiday fix for everyone’s sweet tooth.

4) Bring some light to finals week!

Light up the candles you have, or get some small tea lights and fill the some glasses with water for Insta-worthy floating lights without having spent a fortune! Just make sure to blow them out before you fall asleep!

5) Plug those holiday tunes in!

It’s finally time for some Mariah Carey and Michael Buble! Plug that Pandora Holiday Station in and hum away while you try to remember all those formulas and concepts for finals. Talk about making studying enjoyable.

Hi, my name is Wendy Hwong and I am currently a fourth-year Communication Studies and Cognitive Science major at the University of California, Davis. In my free time, I enjoy long talks and study sessions in hole-in-wall coffee shops, hiking scenic trails, finding foodie hubs, DIY projects, reading, blogging every so often, and trying to stay fit. On my campus, I am involved in the Professional Sorority and Fraternity Council for Phi Alpha Delta, am a notetaker for the Student Disability Center, and run the publicity campaign for Relay for Life. Writing is one of my passions because it is one of the best ways I have found to connect with others and gives me the ability to create something completely original.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!