freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Valentine’s Day Playlist that Won’t Make You Vomit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

If you’re sick of hearing the same cheesy love songs play on the radio and want some Valentine’s Day songs that won’t make you roll your eyes, this playlist is for you! Whether you’re spending Valentine’s Day with a significant other, with your girlfriends or simply by yourself, these songs capture the essence of love and romance in unique ways that are far from cheesy.

R U Mine? — Arctic Monkeys

“R U Mine?” is a single from indie-rock band, Arctic Monkeys, illustrating the chase in dating and relationships with a driving beat and bold lyrics. guaranteed to make you a) jump around and start headbanging and b) marry Alex Turner.

The Way You Make Me Feel — Michael Jackson

This classic, upbeat Michael Jackson song is filled with all of the emotions that go along with having feelings for a special someone.  

Heart Out — The 1975

The 1975’s “Heart Out” features an electronic beat and subtly romantic lyrics about opening up to a special someone.

I Wanna Dance With Somebody — Whitney Houston

It’s Whitney Houston, need I say more? Another classic that will not only make you want to dance with your significant other, mom, sister— basically, anyone and everyone you love. 

Give Your Heart a Break — Demi Lovato

“Give Your Heart a Break” gives us a small reminder for all of us that sometimes it’s okay to let our guards down in relationships. It’s a hit pop song that will turn you into a true #Lovatic.

All of Your Love — Hellogoodbye

The indie pop power of Hellogoodbye screams out loud in this song, with its electronic beats and fun vocals. “All of your love” has a flirty, danceable vibe    

Sweater Weather — The Neighborhood

Who wasn’t obsessed with this song when it first came out? Even the title itself makes you feel the need to cuddle with someone. The song itself, however, isn’t heavy on cheesiness or romance. It has a sensual vibe that isn’t too cutsey or over the top, but still completely romantic with it’s most popular lyric “Cause it’s too cold for you here and now/ so let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater”.

My Love — Justin Timberlake

“My Love” is a perfect example of a sexy love song that doesn’t try too hard, yet, accomplishes the task of making us swoon (over JT).

XO — Beyonce

You can’t have a Valentine’s Day playlist without Beyonce, right? (Or perhaps any playlist, for that matter). “XO” describes the spirit of love in a style that is captivating, simple and sentimental.

Varsha is currently a senior at UC Davis double majoring in Communication and Sociology. A Bay Area native, she relishes any opportunity to visit the beach and explore cities big and small. As an avid reader and writer, she hopes to utilize her passion for storytelling through a future career in PR. She is a self-proclaimed foodie and always enjoys a good cup of coffee. You can find her writing poems on the quad, reporting stories for AggieTV and daydreaming in the Arboretum, figuring out life as a 22 year old. 
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.