This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Valentine’s Day is around the corner, and while many Davis students will say that there isn’t much to do in the area, the holiday is the perfect excuse to go out and have fun. Here are some places and ideas you should definitely consider for a romantic date this Valentine’s season:

Crocker Art Museum: Located in Sacramento, the Crocker Art Museum showcases a variety of different artwork with paintings from before 1945, to rotating exhibitions of contemporary artists. Museums are perfect for couples. The space allows for quiet reflection of the art pieces and is the spot for Instagram-worthy pictures. Tickets are $10 for college students. You can find more information on current exhibitions and ticketing at https://www.crockerart.org/

Golden 1 Center: If you and your significant other are into sports, I definitely recommend going to a King’s game. The tickets are on the cheaper end, so it is not a huge investment. You and your significant other can catch dinner in Sacramento before heading over to the Golden 1 Center. 

Rick’s Dessert Diner: Also located in Sacramento, this retro-themed dessert place serves decadent cakes, ice cream, and the most delicious milkshakes. The interior of the diner falls perfectly in line with the retro aesthetic, with neon signs, black and white checkered floors, and bright red booths. Another Instagram-worthy location, it’s the perfect place to go after having a romantic dinner in Sacramento. 

Davis Creamery: If Sacramento is not a feasible location for you, then Davis Creamery is another great dessert place to go to after having dinner. The ice cream shop is a local favorite, with seasonal flavors that are always delicious. Located in downtown Davis, it is within walking distance from all the restaurants in the area. 

Davis Farmers Market: The Farmers Market in Davis happens Saturday mornings, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., and Wednesday afternoons 3-6 p.m. You can kick off the date by grabbing coffee at the Pachamama coffee booth and then making your way through the market. At the market, there is fresh seasonal produce, pastries, and apple juice, as well as tents selling plants and handmade products. The Farmers Market is a cute spot to grab food and picnic on the grass nearby. 

Davis Arboretum: If you and your significant other are into the outdoors, a stroll through the arboretum is a great date idea. It is also a great spot to have a picnic. You and your significant other can walk the trails listening to a shared playlist, have thoughtful conversations, or go looking for turtles and ducks at the arboretum. 

Staying in: There is also the option to stay in, cook dinner, and have a movie night. Especially since this winter has been quite rainy and chilly, staying home is a great way to stay safe and warm, and have an intimate dinner with your significant other. 

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be just for couples. If you don’t have a significant other, these places and ideas are great for a solo date or a date with friends!

Emily is a recent graduate from UC Davis, with a bachelor's degree in Communications and Cinema & Digital Media. She is currently Design Director for VITA at UC Davis and Digital Media Director for Her Campus UCD. She enjoys thrifting and getting coffee with friends.