Unplanned Pregnancy and Choices with an ‘S’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

When I first decided to tackle this topic, I thought to myself that it would be a great way to get the conversation flowing. To get information out to women about an issue that is tough to talk about and an issue that our society has made taboo. It is my belief that our society likes to hide the hard-to-deal-with
happenings of life instead of facing them head on. Or so I thought.

As I walked out of my afternoon class and past the Coffee House, I saw a sign that had a picture of an aborted fetus at ten weeks and it read, “Is this what you mean by CHOICE?” Clearly this sign was meant to deal with one aspect of unplanned pregnancy.  As I approached the sign I found information on the back about abortions. Instead of accurate and helpful information, I found only “factual” information on why abortion was the wrong choice. For example, one statistic read, “I am familiar with no case of incest-related abortion that did not make matters worse for the victim.” I am not insinuating that abortion doesn’t require after care or that it is not a difficult life decision, but this is one quote from one health care professional that ignores the challenges that would come from choices other than abortion.

I couldn’t help but feel bothered by the insensitivity of this message to anyone walking by on our campus that might be dealing with an unplanned pregnancy, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it. I was outraged by the misrepresentation of information that could discourage someone from seeking help to understand all of their choices and the related consequences. Don’t get me wrong, I also believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I do not intend to pass judgement on any person’s choice, but I will  speak out against a presentation of opinion that creates a hostile or otherwise unsupportive environment for someone facing an unplanned pregnancy.

The incident that afternoon only reinforces the necessity for accurate and unbiased information about all choices for unplanned pregnancy and where the safe places are on campus that provide those resources.

Most people struggle with seeking help because it can be intimidating and scary. Dr. Katie Cougevan, who works for Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), says that students may not seek help because “there may be some shame or embarrassment around being a pregnant student and an extreme sense of isolation – feeling as though they are the only one going through this experience.”

That is why The House, a confidential and drop-in peer counseling center supported by CAPS, can be a great first place to talk to someone. “Peers are sometimes easier to talk [with] and relate to than a professional at CAPS. We are more readily available and will hear students out about where they want to go with the situation.We’re a stepping stone to CAPS and other resources,” says Brittany Moso, a peer counselor at The House. The House is located next to the UC Davis Housing Office and across from Regan Residence Hall and is open weekdays from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. The website is http://thehouse.ucdavis.edu.

The Women’s Resource and Research Center (WRRC), located on the first floor of North Hall, offers a safe environment and information about all choices for unplanned pregnancy. In addition, they have resources for all women’s health issues including planned pregnancy and miscarriages. The center can offer counseling and information about on and off campus resources for adoption, abortion, parenthood and on how to help a friend experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. These resources can also be accessed online at http://wrrc.ucdavis.edu/html/resources.html under Health and Wellness.

The Counseling and Psychological Services department should not be over looked by those seeking support during an unplanned pregnancy. The department offers professional psychological services and support groups to UC Davis students. This means that CAPS can provide after care for any choice, which is a crucial part in dealing with an unplanned pregnancy that is often over looked. First time appointments with CAPs are on a walk-in basis and the department is located on the second floor of North Hall.

One particular service offered by CAPS is the Pregnant Student Support Group on the first and third Wednesdays of every month in the Righteous Babe Lounge, WRRC, North Hall. The group is run by Dr. Cougevan and it provides a place for pregnant students to meet other pregnant students and discuss their thoughts, ideas, feelings and experiences. The group was started by graduate student, Brook Colley who was pregnant and working at the WRRC at the time. At her leave, Dr. Cougevan took on the group, “I had worked with many students who were struggling with their dual role of parenting and being a student and I wanted to continue offering more support. As a parent myself, I know how hard it is to juggle multiple responsibilities and how important it is to have resources and a community of others that can provide support.” Dr. Cougevan also hosts a donation shower quarterly where the community donates items such as diapers, clothes, strollers and cribs to assist students in need.

There is another UC Davis member and collegiette taking action to help students access accurate, unbiased and supportive resources for unplanned pregnancy. Alison Tanner, ASUCD Senate, is passionate about creating a consolidated digital database for people on campus who would be expected to have information on resources for unplanned pregnancy, like resident assistants. Two interns, Danielle Kimpel and Jessica Tran, are working tirelessly with Tanner to complete the comprehensive database. She believes that people need to be able to get accurate information from people they trust. “I want to hype the notion that you should talk to someone. This resource needs to be for the 54% of women who could be pregnant. For as many people who go to counseling to get help, there are more who don’t. Who go to get an abortion alone or drop out of school. People need to know that they can be pregnant and be parents and not drop out of school.”

It is important for UC Davis students to understand that they are not alone, that there are safe and supportive places on campus and that they have the right to information about all choices. It is just as crucial that our society change its attitude towards pregnancy in college-aged women. “We need to change our idea of what a young pregnant person can do. We need to change society as a whole if we ever expect young pregnant women to be able to better themselves and contribute to society,” said Alison Tanner. The same view was expressed by Dr. Cougevan who stated, “It really takes a community pulling together to offer support to change this. To assist with de-stigmatizing this experience.”

Next quarter, Dr. Cougevan will be holding a mentorship panel where community members who were parents while in college will present on their experiences. They will mentor pregnant students and offer support towards their chosen career goals. This series will be offered monthly.

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.