Three Things to Know Before Getting an Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Getting an apartment is arguably one of the most exciting parts of growing up and going off to college. While living in a dorm is a great way to meet new people and transition into university life, having your own space to take care of is a major step toward becoming an adult (and let’s be honest, we’re all glad to say goodbye to residence hall bathrooms). This past quarter, a few of my friends and I moved into a place off campus, and although things haven’t always been easy, they’ve always been an adventure! Here are a few things that I have learned on my journey to independence.

1. Set (and respect) boundaries.

Part of finding who you are as a person is learning to identify and address the behaviors you aren’t okay with. Whereas in the dormitories, you had RAs and university staff to help settle any conflicts, living off campus strips you of this safety net. You now have to set your own rules for behavior. Nobody is forcing you to follow quiet hours or keep the living room tidy, so it’s up to you to decide how to regulate your behavior. Remember to be kind to both yourself and your roommates. If you live with other people, it will be incredibly helpful to have a discussion about what you expect in the house. Who will clean the kitchen, and how often? What guests are allowed over? Although it may feel awkward to establish these things, it’s better to do so right off the bat than have an uncomfortable situation arise later, trust me.

2. Don’t procrastinate on chores.

I know, I know. People have been telling us to quit procrastinating since we were in elementary school, and we’re still doing it. In fact, I’m somewhat of an expert at mismanaging my time by now. However, when living in an apartment there’s some things that just shouldn’t wait. It turns out that dishes pile up a lot more quickly than you think over the course of a couple days. At one point, I even found myself drinking milk out of a measuring cup because I ran out of clean glasses to use. Things run so much more smoothly when you take care of problems as they arise. If you do chores a little bit at a time, they’ll feel less like momentous tasks.

3. Make your space your own.

Even though having your own space is a big change, it isn’t just about responsibilities and to-do lists. Be sure to have fun with what you’re doing! This place is your new home, so make it a place where you feel safe and cozy. Hang up some posters or fairy lights, make some DIY decorations for the living room, put some comfy pillows on the couch; do whatever makes your environment feel right to you. Remember that this is your time to shape your world, so move forward with confidence, and don’t be afraid to let your personality shine through in everything you do.

Allie Dodson is a third year student and campus correspondent at Her Campus UCD. She is double majoring in International Relations and Spanish, and in her spare time enjoys drinking coffee and watching sitcoms with her friends.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!