This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

While I do not generally consider myself a long-term artist, given that I have only recently taken art more seriously, I have grown to realize that being an artist isn’t about how long you’ve been creating art, it’s about the process and the lessons that can be taken away from the creative journey. Growing up, my dad and grandpa had very creative and artistic inclinations –– they were often doing calligraphy, photography, or admiring artwork at galleries. It made me wonder if I would also follow in their footsteps. Personally, it took me years to finally dabble in art. I never really understood or appreciated the beauty of creating art in any medium as I used to despise attending mandatory art classes and visiting museums. However, in these past few years, I have learned to appreciate art in its various forms –– through photography, digital art, and especially painting.

Unfortunately, many people often associate artistry with creativity and while that is true, it excludes all the other possibilities of being creative in other fields. It’s important to note that creativity can be displayed in musical forms, problem-solving, and fashion–to name a few. This leads to a common notion that traditional art is the chief representation of art and creativity. This myth is certainly false because we see art and creativity everywhere and it is not always related to illustrations. Hopefully knowing that can relieve many people’s fixed mindsets about how they cannot ever be creative just because they are not artistically apt. 

In the process of creating, artists often experience a similar concept that writers encounter: artist block –– infamous for interrupting creative flow and artistry. Artist block is something quite common and can be expressed in many different forms. It could be struggling to know what to draw, paint, or creatively compose a photo. I have had my fair share of experiences with artist block and these roadblocks typically stem from being plagued by the imposter syndrome. Social media has a way of glamorizing what we see; it presents highlights of success and strays from revealing the failures. What we notice is perfected, and this even applies to illustrations and the end results of creativity that causes many artists to feel inadequate.

In my experience, I notice myself comparing my creative capabilities with artists I see online. When I spiral into these insecure and self-deprecating thoughts, I realize that I need to take a step back from social media. The platform only reveals the perfected versions and romanticizes how easy it is to create. So, engaging in non-related art things genuinely rejuvenates my creative juices because it allows me to refocus my perspective and be inspired by the world around me. Rather than painfully forcing myself to stare at a blank canvas and expecting myself to magically create something exquisite, I can use that time to breathe and take part in some of my other hobbies. Thus, even when we find ourselves in a rut, it is better to take a break and revisit our artistic and creative endeavors later on. We usually put out our best work when we are being inspired by raw beauty and nature. 

Kelly is studying psychology (planning to switch to design soon) at UC Davis. She is passionate about finding new books to read whenever she can. With an eye for design and aesthetics, she indulges in shopping sprees to try and find her style in clothes.