assorted zodiac signs?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
assorted zodiac signs?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration on Canva for Her Campus Media

The Mystery Gang’s Zodiac Signs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Okay, I’ll admit it. I’ve kept every Scooby-Doo VHS tape from childhood. In Scooby-Doo and The Ghoul School, I remember Shaggy, Scooby, and Scrappy randomly taking jobs as gym teachers, only to discover the students are (you guessed it) ghouls. The plot is ridiculous, and I love it. But, nothing can beat Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island’s supernatural departure from the usual masked, human villains. It’s iconic: the darker tone completely shifts the franchise. I’m convinced that our generation’s obsession with goth girls started with this soundtrack and character design thank god for the Hex Girls. As for the series and live-action movies, I get the same nostalgic comfort. I grew up with these characters and now as an adult who’s equally fixated on astrology, I have to make that connection. So, here’s to the Mystery Gang!

Velma

Sun: Virgo 

• Whether it’s the series, animated movies, or the live-action films, Velma solves mysteries earnestly and logically. She stubbornly pays attention to the little things, finding clues, and organizing theories. She’s a Virgo through and through.

Moon: Aries 

• The fireside of Velma is much subtler. Even though she comes across as sweet or somewhat docile, she consistently directs a plan of action — taking charge. Take a look at the Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated TV show or the live-action movies for reference. She is fiercely independent and at stressful times, pompous.

Rising: Aquarius

• Her ascendant (social personality) is inquisitive, eccentric, and friendly — how can she not have a tinge of air? As an Aquarius, she’s all about the community and working as a team.

Scooby

Sun: Cancer 

• Do I have to say any more? Scooby is a huge softie, going through life with a love for strong, expressive emotion. He totally fits into the toxic cancer stereotype: do you remember how jealous he was of Mary Jane?

Moon: Pisces

• Another water sign, Scooby is highly emphatic, caring, and sensitive. As sweet and loving as he is, he can be pretty defensive too. 

Rising: Taurus

• A rising in Taurus is all about a refined and exquisite taste, and Scooby definitely has that. It may not be conventional, but Scooby’s taste for grime, food, and rowdy friends, sets him apart.

Daphne

Sun: Taurus

• Practical, responsible, and secure, Daphne is more than a damsel in distress. While possessive, she also is devoted to the gang and making sure that she contributes to their success.

Moon: Sagitarrius 

• Daphne in the live-action movies is much more enflamed than her usual character. It’s because her Sagittarius is showing. Vibrant, passionate, and slightly unhinged, she doesn’t take no for an answer.

Rising: Scorpio

• Magnetically intense, Daphne has some water in her chart as well. There’s a certain kind of sensitivity to her that can either be charming, or erratic, depending on the situation.

Fred

Sun: Capricorn

• Ambitious, thoughtful, and dependable, Fred comes across as a Capricorn in every Scooby-Doo rendition (besides live action: he’s 100% a Leo there.) When I think of Fred, I think of the planner; I think of a Capricorn. 

Moon: Cancer

• As reliable as he is, he has his moments. Looking at Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated and some of the live-action movies, he has several sensitive outbursts. While he is a well-rounded character, he definitely has some water in his chart. 

Rising: Leo

• With self-reliance comes stubbornness and ego. He can be pretty dramatic. But, there is also a fun, light-hearted, and passionate element to his personality that grounds the gang.

Shaggy

Sun: Leo

• But Fred isn’t the only one with Leo tendencies. Shaggy is the ultimate Leo. Funny, warm-hearted, and oddly charismatic, he transcends comic relief. But, he’s also self-centered and notoriously lazy.

Moon: Pisces

• Whenever Shaggy gets vulnerable or defensive, his Pisces bleeds through. Most moons in Pisces also lean towards escapism, and most of the time, Shaggy just desperately wants to escape whatever creepy situation he’s in. 

Rising: Aquarius

• Like Velma, Shaggy is eccentric and friendly. He’s less interested in solving the mystery and more so committed to bringing the gang together. 
Big 3 Astrology?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

Honestly, I based these signs on vibes. But, considering the gang’s personalities and compatibilities, I’m pretty confident. So, I hope this list brought back good memories for you. As for me, I’m now going to binge every Scooby-Doo VHS tape I own.

UCD '23