Life > Experiences

The Feeling of Wanting To Do It All

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The best years of your life. College. The place where you’re supposed to navigate your interests, become the best version of yourself, discover what you want to do with your life, among others. You are supposed to make everlasting memories, excel in your degree, lifelong friendships, join numerous clubs, make working out a regular item on your to-do list, find the love of your life (if you’re lucky, and if not, then get your heart broken), get internships, maybe even play a sport, get your routine straight but also go to parties, become a sorority girl, and the list can go on and on. The concept of college being the place where you get to experience everything is so romanticized. And even though it is true, because it gives you so many opportunities to indeed do everything, no one ever warns you about the overwhelming feeling it comes with. 

As a student, you can only say yes to so many things before you stretch yourself too thin, and then it gets to that point where you feel too overwhelmed with everything. Especially with social media, it is easy to look at others and feel the need to be the “it girl” or “that girl.” The perfect college girl that goes out to party with her friends, and then next morning she is at an early morning pilates class and getting a coffee before class. There is this expectation that it is supposed to be easy to live that way and that you should very easily be able to follow that routine. However, it is not. 

I am someone who has literally wanted to do it all ever since I was a little girl. The biggest factor in this was with careers. I wanted to be a doctor, but also a lawyer. I wanted to even become a pilot but also have my own business. I wanted to travel the entire world and be an influencer, but also live a small life and make a family. Obviously, it is not possible to achieve it all at once. Then when high school and college came, also came the concept of FOMO. 

Here is my advice on how to deal with this and not completely lose your mind:

1. Accepting that you will not be able to do it all, and that is okay 

The only way you can let go of that need of doing it all is coming to peace with that fact that you won’t be able to. And if you try to, you might end up emotionally, physically, and mentally draining yourself. In order to do as much as you can, take the thing that is highest on your list and give it your all. Be in the moment and experience it fully before you decide that you are ready to move onto the next thing on your list. And don’t feel pressured to rush through anything!

1. Creating your own path (beating FOMO) 

I think the only way to beat FOMO and feel okay if, for example, all of your friends are going out and you’re not, is understanding that we all have our own path we take. We all do things at different times, meaning we all take different paths. It is important for you to think about what will actually make you happier in the long run. 

1. Saying no when it’s too much

Learn to say no. You do not have to be everywhere all the time. This also means don’t compare yourself and compete with others. Think of yourself first and make sure that you are not overdoing it. There is nothing wrong with saying “no.” Read that again. 

1. Making time for yourself  

This piece of advice goes hand in hand with the previous one. At the end of the day, you are the only person that will stick around forever. Therefore, it is crucial that you make time for yourself and make yourself a priority. Make sure you give enough to yourself to rest and recharge. 

Remember, you are supposed to create your own path and that everything will eventually find its way to you! You got this <3

Hi everyone! My name is Raaina Gulati. I am an international student from Costa Rica who is double majoring in psychology and economics, with a tech management minor. I love playing sports, trying new things, spending time with my family and friends, and watching sunsets!