Oreo
Oreo
Torey Walsh / Spoon

The Blessing of “Thin” Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The innovation of “thin” snacks has been a blessing for me. And I don’t mean snacks that are supposed to be diet conscious or help you lose weight. I mean the thinner versions of snacks, such as cookies and candy, that are meant to have less filling or be crispier compared to their regular counterparts. To me, these versions are superior to the original; their compact size and new flavor ratio make me enjoy them even more. 

Oreos
Torey Walsh / Spoon

The top of my list for “thin” snacks has to be Oreo Thins. If you haven’t had these yet, please go to your local grocery store and purchase a pack. We’ve all grown up eating Oreos with milk as a kid, so think of that flavor but much, much better. The thin version has a crispier cookie and a smaller amount of filling, striking the perfect balance. It innovates thick sandwich cookies to be a light snack and makes them portable to any location, where you can eat them without making a mess. It’s Oreos, but grown up and mature, sophisticated in a way where you feel fancy eating these tiny cookies that are light, and airy cookies.

Thin Reese’s Cups have to also be included in this list. The ratio of chocolate to peanut butter in normal-size Reese’s Cups has felt off to me; there is not enough peanut butter to match up with the intense chocolate flavor, creating an imbalance of the two strong flavors. It leaves me wanting more peanut butter every time. Introducing Thin Reese’s Cups: the perfect amount of each flavor to create an ideal experience. Trust me, I love Reese’s, I really do. In any shape or form, I am a diehard fan of the peanut butter-chocolate combination. The velvety textures of both components come together to create a rich dessert. But Thin Reese’s Cups, are the epitome of peanut butter-chocolate crossovers. They elevate the combination to the max, even better than the original Reese’s.

These are lesser known, but I believe Stacy’s Pita Chips are also worthy of a mention. Don’t get me wrong, I love Stacy’s in their original form. They’re crunchy, they’re thick, and their stability makes them excellent dippers for hummus without becoming soggy quickly. But Stacy’s in their “thin” form are immaculate. They’re crispier than ever, with a satisfying crunch on each bite. Their seasoning complements their “thinner” nature and helps it reach heights far beyond a regular pita chip. Stacy’s Thin Pita Chips have the carb flavor of regular pita chips yet feel airy, making their crunch more addictive than ever. 

This is, of course, just a small compilation of items that have been reinvented. The collection of “thin” snacks is always growing as brands find new ways to convince consumers to spend more money, and I, for one, can’t wait to see what they come up with next.

Hi! My name is Anvi Kalucha and I am a freshman at UC Davis studying Data Science with a minor in Technology Management. I discovered my love for writing as an editor for my high school newspaper, where I was the Technology Manager and Sports Editor. In my free time, I love playing board games and hunting for new fried chicken places.